SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Unrestored EX pump pit
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:20AM

The attached photo is of the pump pit in 1907 Stanley Model EX #3255, as purchased in 1952. There's a nice view of the ratchet oil pump and a reverse pedal with no hookup. I'm curious about the pump drive rods, though. They have a sort of arched section that goes over the rocker shaft, but asymmetrically. For the fuel pump, it connects to a dummy rod that goes all the way forward to the body crossmember for support.

The 1906 parts book doesn't show parts like these - I wonder if they were a fairly short-lived design choice?

Attachments: 03255_PumpPit.jpg (289.9KB)  
Re: Unrestored EX pump pit
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:16PM

Kelly
This cars been modified. Whenever I see changes I tend to question other things
The EX did not have a winker. The Fuel pump is in the wrong place as well as the water pumps.
Rolly

Date: March 01, 2012 04:11PM

I found a computer that would open my flash drive.
This is the best photo of original EX pump pit i have.
I also noticed on your photo the valves through the dash did not have lace handles.
Rolly

Attachments: 1906-08 Stanley EX Pumps 2.jpg (192.5KB)  
Date: March 02, 2012 02:25AM

Thanks Rolly.

I found the article this photo is from in the English publication "The Automotor Journal". It was in 3 parts, starting April 4, 1908, viewable at [books.google.com] . I extracted the EX article into a separate PDF, but it's too large to attach - PM me if you'd like a copy emailed.

Very cool that the 1952 photo was taken at almost the same angle as the 1908 picture. It's interesting to see the identical arched rod connectors, but the water pumps and the fuel pump are reversed. The fuel automatic isn't visible at all in the 1908 view, and the 3-tube glass is at a different place. The 1952 picture shows the hole and mounting bolts still in place for the 1908 location of the glass.

Just goes to show that even cars that were unmolested for many years may have been molested in their early life, and it's risky to take them as gospel. Though I wonder about factory assembly variations - it's hard to see what an owner would gain by swapping pump locations and replacing every valve handle.

Kelly

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 02, 2012 04:45AM

Dear Kelly, Most surviving Stanleys seen a steam revival during the WW2 years. By that time, most Stanleys had already found the junk yards and scrap drives. Because they could use non rationed fuels, they were the hot ticket to driving independence during the war. Refitting the wheels to available tire sizes was the first order of business. Next, cobbling them together so that they could run was the next. Today's high survival rate of the Stanley compared to any other production car is most remakable. Most were somewhat altered along the way, but here they are as we find them, over a hundred years later.

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: March 02, 2012 01:47PM

Hi Kelley...The valve handle is simple,,,when you order from factory or dealer they came with the handle rivitted on,I think,,Can someone confirm this,,
Pistons came with crosshead and cup that screws into the oil baffle,,all assembled,,
I had a couple of new old stock back around 1954,,,wraped in newspaper,,,
Cheers,,Ben

Date: March 02, 2012 03:29PM

Kelly
The 1906-7 EX and most likely the 08 did not use a three tube water level indicator it was not around yet
They used a buck water level float and a small brass wire came through the dash to indicate water level.
I installed one on my dash in the original location; you would not believe the questions I get from whom I thought were the most learned of steam car guys.
The original car only had two valves and two gauges on the dash. There is a third valve on the fuel piping diagram listed as the main fuel shut off. I never found out the correct location of this valve but got a lot of speculation, but no documentation. I installed mine on the dash as it was handy for operation, and quick shut off.
Location on my drawing were taken from the holes of an original broken up body still in the trailer down back of Biondi field.
Rolly
[www.stanleysteamers.com]
[www.stanleysteamers.com]

Date: March 02, 2012 07:06PM

I found a few photos of the bucket assemble as installed in the car as well as the one I cleaned up for a friend.

Rolly

Attachments: Bucket Level Water Gauge.jpg (129.4KB)   housing-a.jpg (142.5KB)   Bucket.jpg (66.1KB)  
Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:25PM

Rolly,

Does the bucket water indicator work OK? I assume it has glands where the spindle comes out of the float unit - just wonder if they don't have too much friction. There must have been problems otherwise Stanley would have continued it.

Mike

Date: March 03, 2012 02:00AM

Ah, I had mistaken that vertical object in the 1908 picture, that comes from below floor level and extends up the dash between the valve handles, for a 3-tube glass. But - what is it? There seem to be 2 thin, slightly-curved rods extending from the bottom of it toward the rear of the car. That whole assembly is missing from the 1952 photo.

Attachments: EX_dash.jpg (62.2KB)  
Date: March 03, 2012 10:49AM

Sight gauge for main water tank? Hard to see what the curved rods (?pipes) are but maybe they connect to the water tank through the thicker pipe which goes to the pump at "F"

Mike

Date: March 03, 2012 03:35PM

Your right Mike it looks like the main water tank site glass, should be on the side of the car.
On the bucket shaft there is no gland packing. The rod is 1/16 when it passes through the pressure vassal hub but behind it has a 3/16 cone seat and the other end of the shaft has a spring to keep is set. Outside the unit was another weighted bucket slid into a pipe to keep it from swinging around and balanced with the one inside. You could use your finger on the bent brass wire sticking through the dash to move the weight to get a feel for where the water was.
Stanley applied for the patent for the first generation three tube in July 18th 1907 patent 1123611 it was granted in 1915, by then he no longer used the cast type and around that time had invented the kidney type on the condensing cars.
It’s conceivable the cars in 1908 used the three tube unit and also most likely a lot of cars were factory retrofitted with them. Who knows for sure.

Rolly

Date: March 05, 2012 05:05PM

Thanks Rolly. I make the end thrust on the 1/16th rod less than 2 lbs at 600psi so I can see how that would work. The cone seat would be like a self lapping valve and keep itself sealed.

Mike

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2012 04:33PM

Please make note on Rolly's comment,,of the time lag on issueing a patent,,,sometimes years,,
So the idea will be closer to the application,,,NOT the issue date,,
Therefore keeping track of patents wiill be better organized by application dates,,
Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.