SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley 740 wheels
Posted by: Marksteamnz (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2017 11:19PM

Just about ready to put the new tyres and repainted rim combo back on to the wheels but thought I would clean and repaint the steel locating band on the wooden spokes etc.
But the steel locating band has moved on all 4 wheels so it is eccentric. Some of the retaining clips on the inside face held under the coach head of the bolts are flattened and the steel ban has moved.

IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG

I am building a tool to pull the bands back into place, and will remake all 24 clips to be stronger and a closer fit.

Common problem? OK fix?

As always all suggestions advice gratefully received.

Re: Stanley 740 wheels
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2017 12:40AM

Mark, Sounds like you have a common wheel problem. Caused from the wheel to rim lugs being too loose. Eventually the valve stem gets ripped out of the inner tube by the rim slipping around on the wheel. The steel band around the felloe is called the felloe band. The felloe band is rivited to the felloes. When the wook spokes and felloes shrink from old age and/or drying out of the wood, this looseness has to be tightened up. I know of friends that had shimmed the felloe bands tight again by shimming them with copper strips between the felloe bands and felloes. Many different wheel fixes for many different wheel problems. Your images in the above post didn't show.....

Date: June 20, 2017 05:03AM

Right finally got the photos resized and attached.
Thanks for the advice. It appears the felloe band only has two locating rivets about 120 degrees from each other. It is the opposite side from this that that has moved. The two pictures are taken of the same felloe band 180 degrees rotated.

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated
Cheers
Mark

Attachments: Rim 1-2.jpg (677.1KB)   Rim 2-1.jpg (558.9KB)  
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2017 05:34AM

Mark, Looks like the proper way to fix this problem is to tighten the felloe band. The fit is too loose so the felloe band has slipped to the side. If the wheel was mine, I would remove the felloe band, and while the felloe band is off, shim between the felloe band and wood fellows with a thin strip of copper. Double check the fit of the felloe band while you are doing this. Shim until the felloe band is too tight to go on. Preheat the fellow band with a propane brush torch, and then quickly hammer the band down where the band belongs and quench with water to prevent burn damage from the hot fellow band. Reset your rivets. All done........

Date: June 20, 2017 06:17AM

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.
Looking at the inside of the felloe it is not as I originally posted. There are no rivets I can see what there are is two 1/8 th (approx) bolts through the felloe, one at the joint in the felloe strip and one 180 degrees round. There is a clip under the nut on the inside of the felloe and the head is a flat smooth trumpet shape that fits into a tappered recess in the felloe band and invisible under the felloe band paint until I had a scratch around. I will get a picture tomorrow.
The felloe band appears a very tight fit on the felloe, I doubt I can get a 0.05mm feeler gauge between the wood and the steel, but I will check that as well tomorrow.
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.