SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Heat Exchangers
Posted by: Brian Drake (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2002 07:36AM

<HTML>I'm not too familiar with steam car designs, but I'm slowly learning more about them. One thing I haven't seen mention of is a heat exchanger between the steam exhaust and the condensor to help preheat the water before its fed to the boiler. Is this because the weight penalties outweigh any possible benefits, or is there some other reason?</HTML>

Re: Heat Exchangers
Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2002 01:27PM

<HTML>What you are calling an exhaust heat exchanger, on our Stanley cars we call them our feedwater heater. On the cars of 1910 to 1914, they were a factory installed item and reproductions of these are sold by Art Hart. On the condensing cars, I am not sure what all models had them, but they are found on most diagrams of the Stanley steam water systems. Although, I have a diagram of a model 740 that doesn't show it on it's diagram. On our 1914 Stanley, I have ran both with and with out the feedwater heater. The difference in performance is about a 10% gain with it operating. Weight? Not noticeable. On our model 735, it is a very heavy piece,(less than 100 pounds) and the only fault I find with it is that sometimes it is in my way when jacking the car up by it's frame. Benefits of a feed water heater? I wouldn't leave home with out one.</HTML>

Re: Heat Exchangers
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2002 10:07PM

<HTML>Feed water heaters were fitted to almost all makes of steam cars. One could say it is rediculous to suggest building a car without one. Later condensing Stanleys dropped them to save money and to eliminate the risk of the heater freezing in cold weather. It was assumed that the water tank would get hot enough to reduce the need for a heater, true only if one drove more than thirty miles.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.