SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley with Barrels
Posted by: H J Merrick (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2018 07:37PM

Does anyone have any information (or thoughts) on the attached photo of a Stanley carrying a load of barrels? A copy of the photo print is in the Stanley Museum archives, but there is no information on where or when the photo was taken, or what the barrels contain (or if they are empty). I have found a reference to a pair of Stanley trucks used in the cranberry harvest on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, by A.D. Makepeace of Wareham, who was known as the Cranberry King. The A.D. Makepeace Co. (still in business) had its own cooper shop and established an industry standard for 100-quart shipping barrels (100 quarts of cranberries weigh approx. 88 lbs, so the filled barrels would weigh approx. 100 lbs). Considering the light-weight ropes holding the barrels in place and the weight of the barrels when filled, I suspect that they are empty. Whether they were intended to hold cranberries or some other product is still an open question. The A.D. Makepeace Co. does not have any records in its archives regarding the use of Stanleys. I'd appreciate any assistance.

Jim Merrick, Archivist
Stanley Museum

Attachments: Stanley with Barrels.jpg (631.4KB)  
Re: Stanley with Barrels
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2018 10:43PM

With the short wheel base, the Mt. Wagon is a model Z. The barrels are all new and unused, so my guess would be that it is new barrels in transit: from the cooper to the user. The Stanley was most likely for hire and the photo shows just what he can haul. Thank you for the opportunity to see your fantastic Mt. Wagon photo.
Attached is another view of a model Z Mt. Wagon

Attachments: s-l1600 (2).jpg (172.1KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.