SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
pilot flame indicator
Posted by: 1910 Stanley Model 60 (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2018 12:18AM

Has anyone successfully installed a flame indicator device on the burner pilot flame. The intent is to indicate that the pilot flame is lit, not to shut off the main burner fuel supply.
Paul Sr

Re: pilot flame indicator
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2018 12:46AM

Paul, The pilot light flame indicator is commonly found as modern addition to our Stanley Steamers. There are two types of indicators. One is a temperature sensor at the pilot light and it is the most common. There's a thermometer on the firewall which indicates if the pilot light is producing heat. No battery required. The other type of indicator is a continuity indicator that indicates that a pilot flame is present. When the pilot light flame is present, the flame connects a pair of electrodes via the continuity of the flame. A power source is required for the flame indicator. I don't know of anyone presently using this latter pilot flame indicator. My indicator on our Stanleys is when I smell un-burnt raw fuel, I know that the pilot flame is out. When I hear the moan (howl?) of the main fuel burning, I know the pilot is still lit. Since I use Hexane as a pilot fuel and a Maxwell pilot with the #500 Coleman generator, about the only time that the pilot will go out, which is rarely, is when my pilot fuel pressure becomes too low in the pilot tank. And that pressure is when it gets below 5 PSI.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.