SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Identification Number
Posted by: Kate Younglove (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2002 01:51AM

<HTML>Hello,
Can anyone tell me where to fine the Vehicle Identification Number on a 1918 Stanley Steamer? I would like to get one registered in the State of California. They tell me it must have a VIN number to Identify it on the Title.
Thank you so much for your time
Kate</HTML>

Re: Identification Number
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: September 12, 2002 11:47AM

<HTML>The model and serial numbers should be on a brass plate rivited to the left frame member close to the steering box and visible through the burner access door. If the plate is missing, the only other number on the car is the engine serial number stamped on the upper frame cross bar, visible only if you remove the copper crank case wrapper sheet. The serial number should be five digits, of which the first two are the year of manufacture, as 19XXX for a car made in 1919. The engine number should be 7-(four digits).</HTML>

Posted by: Ron Parola (IP Logged)
Date: September 13, 2002 12:02AM

<HTML>I found a number stamped on one of the dumb irons under the valance in front of the condenser on mine, can't remember which side but I think it was on the drivers side. This number did match the ID plate in the burner hatch. The body is also stamped but that is just the body number. If in doubt they can issue a new ID number but may require you to post a bond if it isn't in their computer and you have no paperwork....been there done that Ron P</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: September 13, 2002 05:06AM

<HTML>On California vehicle-registration bonds, been there, done that too. I think I paid $125 for the bond several years ago. The trick is finding a "DiMVit" who knows that the bond option exists. I went through quite a few Hollywood-WW2-movie villains at the DMV who thought that "if ze papers are not in order, ve vill not issue ze registration".

If there are no numbers on the vehicle, then it might be possible to find the original "VIN" by researching the provenance of the vehicle.

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: September 13, 2002 10:15AM

<HTML>If you know the provenance of the vehicle, you might try looking it up in the Stanley Register via the Stanley Museum ( see links on this web site). If memory serves me right, the register dates from the 70's and has been updated once and may be in the process of a second update.</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: September 13, 2002 01:57PM

<HTML>Kate,
If it is like my old 1918 Stanley, the ID plate with the car's serial number can be in two places. Inside the burner door on the frame, as David said, or like mine, on the frame crossmember under the rear floor boards near the front engine hanger.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Ron Parola (IP Logged)
Date: September 14, 2002 06:38PM

<HTML>Went into the garage and checked, and yes on my '22 the chassis number is stamped on the drivers side outside front frame member just behind the riveted piece for the front spring perch... some of the ol grey cells still work! Ron P</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: September 14, 2002 11:04PM

<HTML>Bob Sprague produced at least three editions of the Steam Car Register. The first in 1976, th last in 1986. The Stanley Museum published a Stanley Register in 1994. I have copies of the '75, '85, '86, and '94 editions and will be glad to look things up if you know the names of any previous owners.
No gaurantees! It may never have been listed.</HTML>

Posted by: Arnoud Carp (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2003 03:17PM

<HTML>My 1921 735B has the number # 21135 on a plate under the burner door and also stamped in the left dumbiron side a friend of mine has a 1918 stanley 735 with the number #18351 on the frame crossmember under the rear floor boards. Both cars are in the netherlands. Arnoud Carp.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.