SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Running board boxes
Posted by: Jeff Brown (IP Logged)
Date: December 27, 2012 01:47AM

I'm in the middle of building the body for my Stanley R and while in the woodworking mood, thought I'd also make the running board box. In the Sundries section of the of the Stanley catalog, they describe a mahogany box as:
"TOOL BOX. Mahogany rubber topped, brass finished tool box, 26 1/2" long"

The only boxes I've ever seen have been the pressed metal type. Would anyone have a photo of what these mahogany boxes looked like, or has anyone ever seen one that they could describe?

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Running board boxes
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 27, 2012 02:25AM

Dear Jeff, Looking back through my vintage Stanley photos, as early as 1907, running board metal tool boxes were a common sight. Yes, even on the 1909 model R. In my 28 years of steam touring, I have found that the White steam car is the one who is usually seen carrying the wood tool box on the running board. Mike Simpson of Hood, California did have a wood tool box that he had built, on his model R. My experience has shown me that the metal tool box on a model R Stanley looks more professional. It will have more room inside than a wood tool box would have. We have all at one time or another accidentally didn't turned our propane torches completely off before putting them away. The metal tool box could save your model R from a serious fire on this account. The metal tool boxes are still commonly found at the swap meets and also on eBay. Buy them in the rought for $25 or to ready to use @ $150. Check out the attached tool boxes.

Attachments: 1909 Stanley R.jpg (68.7KB)   1907Stanley EX.jpg (130.6KB)  
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: December 27, 2012 03:24PM

Dear Jeff
An alternative to a box mounted on the running board is to build a running board with the tool box built in. photo of my EX not a lot of room on a short running board for boxes.
I have three photos supplied from Kelly Williams showing existing cars with tool boxes built into the running board.
Rolly

Attachments: Running board -a.jpg (193.3KB)   Running board toolbox -a.jpg (200.8KB)  
Posted by: Jeff Brown (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2012 02:04AM

Thanks guys, food for thought, not sure which way I'm going to go now! I'll keep plugging on with the body while I make up my mind - pictures will be posted when it looks recognizable!

jeff

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2012 10:19PM

On Stanley season catalogs they show the metal tool box as seen in the attached photo of our 1914 Stanley 606. I would have to do some research to find out when the metal tool boxes were first available for the Stanley steam car.

Attachments: Stanley tool box.jpg (220.7KB)  
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2012 03:29PM

Hear are a few photos from Kelly Williams site
[www.stanleyregister.net]
Here is an H5 with a running board tool box, it can be seen at the Wells Auto Museum.
Stanley Register Online Barn finds
Rolly

Posted by: allen (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2013 05:15PM

Jeff, I have a couple reproductions of these boxes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.