SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
boiler water level gauge for Stanley
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:15AM

<HTML>Our car, Stanley Model 607 no.7644, has never has a sight glass fitted, and I am reluctant to cut about the firewall and floorboards of this orignal car to fit one unless absolutely necessary . However, the three-tube indicator/low water automatic (which needs rebuilding - any idea who could recondition this for us?) won't be reliable enough on its own.

I do not want to scorch a brand-new boiler!

Any suggestions about what to do? The Bolsover boiler that the car was fitted with c.1950 has an electric gauge but this has long gone.

Wonder if there are any "off the shelf" electric gauges which would suit.

Thanks

Peter Turvey
London England</HTML>

Re: boiler water level gauge for Stanley
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: January 15, 2002 12:54PM

<HTML>My 1923 has a Bristol water leval indicator that uses thermocouples in a top and bottom connected standpipe in the boiler compartment. This is wired to a direct reading meter mounted in the dash with a dial that reads "HIGH", "NORMAL", "LOW" . This device was covered by a U.S. Patent that is available and shows some of the construction details. This car has not run in a number of years, but my recollection is that the device worked well (and best) once the system stabilized temperature.</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: January 16, 2002 12:14AM

<HTML>Hi Peter,
As you know the Brooks is fitted with a themocouple boiler gauge, I have all the drawings from when I rebuilt my car, you would be welcome to a copy of them, I seem to remember the guage was still in your car, if you want to bring it over I have a themocouple column here you could try it on, give me a call, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 16, 2002 12:00PM

<HTML>It is quite easy to make a water column with probes made from spark plugs to sense water level. I made one some time ago which works very well while the probe tips are clean, but requires cleaning them more often than I like. It uses ten plugs in a column ten inches long, thus showing level to an inch.
Other similar sensors using two or three plugs with extended probes extending down from the top of the column are much more reliable but only show "high, normal, low".</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: January 16, 2002 01:34PM

<HTML>Peter,
There is a high quality commercial water level controller available for under $100,
the website is [www.pioneer.net]. Both 12VDC and AC models use AC probe voltage as it appears it is much more reliable than using 12VDC probes. Hope this helps, George</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.