SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Trailer Tires
Posted by: Brad Austin (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2015 12:43AM

My trailer needs new tires. The ones I have are old and I recently had a blowout. From research, I've found that most trailer rated tires are made out of the country and have pretty bad reviews. One comment said a good LT (pickup) tire is much better. The only ones I've seen without problems is the Maxxis brand, (made in America) for about twice the price.

Has anyone had any recent experience with trailer tires and what do you use brand wise that has been satisfactory?

Thanks, Brad

Re: Trailer Tires
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 04, 2015 01:18PM

I have on my boat trailers Carlisle tires

[www.carlisletransportationproducts.com]

My car trailer has Jaxxon ST205/75D15 there about five years old and I’m guessing about 5000 miles on them.

[www.trailerandtruckparts.com]

Rolly

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2015 03:56PM

On my 10,000# gross enclosed car hauling trailer, I have experienced tire problems on tires that were at the most, about two years old. I was running 6 ply radial tires and I recently went with the more expensive 8 ply radial trailer tires. That was about 6,000 miles ago and I haven't had anymore tire problems since. The bad tires have always been on the right side and I suspect that it has been because of road hazards as in chuck holes, curbs, etc. Road hazards are not covered under the tire warranty for the trailer tires. I have a good system for changing a trailer tire on the road. I have a wheel chock that I run up on with the tandem axle tire that still has air in it. Four way lug wrench the flat off and then on with the new. Drive off of the chock. Total tire change time is no more than three minutes. My car trailer has a wheel well in the floor. Our Stanleys are tall enough that I can get the spare out from under them without moving the cars.

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2015 10:27PM

Today,,inflating a truck tire on a ton anna half,,,NEW tire rated for 85#
,,came off the rim at 80# Sidewall tore off bead cable,,,10" tore loose
The cords look laid straight,,No steel att all,except bead cable,,
Will talk to supplier tomorrow,,Cheers,,Ben

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2015 11:06PM

Wear your butt kicking boots!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.