SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gvang Steamcar
Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: October 08, 2002 05:01PM

<HTML>Classic and Sportscar Magazine for November 2002 has a picture of the Australian built Gvang steamcar built by Gene van Grecken with Bob Britton and Stan Smith in the early 1970's. It appeared at the 1972 Sydney Motor Show and was claimed to be capable of 200mph.

It had a 2 cylinder engine between the rear wheels and from the picture was styled like a Corvette.

C&SC ask where it went to? I expect someone on this forum will be able to tell us then we can inform C&SC for their next issue.

Mike Clark</HTML>

Re: Gvang Steamcar
Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: October 09, 2002 05:16PM

<HTML>Hi Mike
Check out the SACA forum
[www.steamautomobile.com]
The thread I started 05/25/02 has a lot of information as to where the Gvang car is. I did have a schematic of the engine which I now can't find. From memory the design was a excentric lobe with a fixed vane. The vane slid and through a rocking gland in housing. Itr looked a bit like the crossection of an old fashon key in a key hole and a sealing nightmare. There were two units/chambers 180 degrees out of phase.

Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: Neil Eshleman (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2002 02:01AM

<HTML>Hi Mike:

That was fun! I just recieved my C&SC today which prompted me to search for information on the Gvang, and I wound-up at this site.

This is good, since I, along with a fellow engineer/co-worker have recently become interested in steam powered automobiles.

I'm sure we'll find some good info here to save us time on our boiler experiments.

Cheers, Neil
Littleton, Co.</HTML>

Posted by: Alex Pattison (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2004 11:48AM

<HTML>Hi

I have a brochure on the Gvang I got at the Sydney Motor Show when it was on exhibit.

The cover is a photo of the car the inside is information on the spec.

I have these photos on WinMX in my downloads my login name is magicman470 or search for gvang under photos

Regards,

Alex</HTML>

Posted by: Alex Pattison (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2004 11:49AM

<HTML>Hi

I have a brochure on the Gvang I got at the Sydney Motor Show when it was on exhibit.

The cover is a photo of the car the inside is information on the spec.

I have these photos on WinMX in my downloads my login name is magicman470 or search for gvang under photos

Regards,

Alex

<a href="mailto:&#112;&#97;&#118;&#64;&#120;&#116;&#114;&#97;&#46;&#99;&#111;&#46;&#110;&#122;?subject=Re: Gvang Steamcar">Mark Stacey</a> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike
> Check out the SACA forum
> [www.steamautomobile.com]
> The thread I started 05/25/02 has a lot of information as to
> where the Gvang car is. I did have a schematic of the engine
> which I now can't find. From memory the design was a
> excentric lobe with a fixed vane. The vane slid and through a
> rocking gland in housing. Itr looked a bit like the
> crossection of an old fashon key in a key hole and a sealing
> nightmare. There were two units/chambers 180 degrees out of
> phase.
>
> Cheers
> Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: Stuart J. McIntosh (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2004 05:41AM

<HTML>GVANG was orbital with circular seals spring loaded on each side of the orbital members ,of morganite CY10F ; they orbited off center on a shaft very close , one or three thou. to their respective stators. The steam generator and burner were every bit as interesting and perhaps were the real breakthroughs, also the condenser feedheater!</HTML>

Posted by: Matt Anderson (IP Logged)
Date: October 13, 2004 11:39AM

<HTML>I'm of the opinion that the oil/fuel companies snapped it up in production and either destroyed it due to fierce competition or simply bought it up and silenced it until the oilfields run dry...! possible...? If you have any information on the Gvang please send it to me, my father has always been curious about it since seeing the car appear in an early 80's/90's british classic car mag.</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Mac (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2004 03:37AM

<HTML>This may or may not be true but the Gvang Coupe was first displayed at the sydney motor show 1972 and was aclaimed the car of the future having a projected top speed of over 200klms per hour, the motor was unique being 2 cylinders and having no cast components all parts were machine from a aluminium block and bolted together with prestressed stainless steel bolts, the car wasreported to be exceptionaly quite even when running at max revs. Gene Van Grecken was a very succcessful Sydney architect even if a bit unorthodox. He lived in a beautiful house overlooking Sydney Harbour and was on the verge of issuing shares in his car project, although he already had substantial backing from Australian buusiness houses.
The car was a extreme departure from the normal mainly as it was steam powered but there was reportedly no long delay on starting from cold. Its design feature tended towards Itailan and in apperance closely resembled a Cobra. Therefore it was a mystery when Gene Van Greken suddenly disappeared and the car was removed from a secure storage area at his workshop and was never seen again together with all the development information. Rumours flew but no positive answers were found and it became the belief of all that knew of the developement that he had been approched by the oil suppliers wanting to purchace and destroy. About a year after his disapearance it was reported that he hat accepted a multi million dollar pay out. Once again this could not be verified abd could have been a bit of sensational journalism. However in 1991 he resurfaced in Switzerland living the life of a wealthy recluce. but could not be drawn on what had happened. As one who saw the car in the Sydney show and marveled at its lines and style it seemed realy tradgic that it disapeared had it gone into production who knows what we would be driving to day..</HTML>

Posted by: Ray Fellowes (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2004 06:31AM

<HTML>Hey guys i know at least less than 10 years ago the actuall shell of the car was still in australia less engine of course as i know where it was kept and it was in nsw near the blue mountains

id love some technical info on the engine though???</HTML>

Date: January 09, 2005 10:00PM

<HTML>Author: Ray
Date: 01-09-05 15:39

woohoo i been to sydney and now have the information

ok peoples the car is still owned by the gentleman i know and i have the original photos and trying to copy the original plans on my website (due to the size but bear with me i will get them up as they are in a delicate condition)

due to the car currently going through a 4 year restoration process and not at its residing home i couldnt get up to date photos but is due back any month now .....but will have toyota mr2 motor in its bum...the now owner guarantees me that it is reversable back to original (spose all i can do is cry)

i will be speaking to the man Gene himself hopefully tommorrow (as he is 80 odd years old now )and we can get the full true side of the story why it was never made into full production

i just hope he is ok health wise to meet me and we all can get more intel

many thanx to the current owner for lending me all his priceless and irreplaceable original documentation

bit of trivia here for u all......on one of the tech drawings for the car they were trying to design an insignia logo for the car and it was going to be a unicorn similar to the ford mustang trademark but in the original sydney motorshow brochure brag brochure it was changed to a manta ray!!!!!!!

gvang rear

[members.dodo.net.au]

gvang front

[members.dodo.net.au]

gvang dashboard

[members.dodo.net.au]

Ray</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2005 09:47PM

<HTML>sorry guys i wasnt able to contact mr van grecken but hey i tried ....oh well</HTML>

Posted by: darren (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2005 08:52AM

<HTML>Will this machine ever be built for general use. It seems with all the pollution everyone is concerned about there would be an effort made to bring it to production.
Thank you .</HTML>

Posted by: Ray Manta (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2005 12:47PM

<HTML>Please look at the latest posting. All the bullshit surrounding Gvang must stop.
Ray Manta</HTML>

Posted by: barry kenneth rumbel (IP Logged)
Date: May 08, 2005 04:56AM

<HTML>just another instance of fuel saving technology being suppressed by the all powerful iol companies one has to suspect. not really too different to the story of tom ogle</HTML>

Posted by: pim (IP Logged)
Date: June 07, 2005 01:02PM

<HTML>Bill..i went to school with mr van greckons son..also called gene..i sat and rode in the gvang in newport way back in 1970 i think..i was like 10 years old...i always wondered what happenned to the car and the family and yes, i did hear that the factory in newport was fire bombed and after that gene accepted an 'offer he couldn't refuse"..pim</HTML>

Posted by: adrian byrne (IP Logged)
Date: August 03, 2005 12:30PM

<HTML>

<a href="mailto:&#109;&#105;&#107;&#101;&#97;&#110;&#100;&#115;&#117;&#101;&#64;&#118;&#105;&#114;&#103;&#105;&#110;&#46;&#110;&#101;&#116;&#46;&#117;&#107;?subject=Gvang Steamcar">Mike Clark</a> wrote:
>
> Classic and Sportscar Magazine for November 2002 has a
> picture of the Australian built Gvang steamcar built by Gene
> van Grecken with Bob Britton and Stan Smith in the early
> 1970's. It appeared at the 1972 Sydney Motor Show and was
> claimed to be capable of 200mph.
>
> It had a 2 cylinder engine between the rear wheels and from
> the picture was styled like a Corvette.
>
> C&SC ask where it went to? I expect someone on this forum
> will be able to tell us then we can inform C&SC for their
> next issue.
>
> Mike Clark</HTML>

Posted by: Tony Butler (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2005 09:26AM

<HTML>I remember the gvang well, it was claimed to have a top speed of over 100 mph, and used an instantanious steam generator, until recently (a house move) I still had the write up from the car mag at the time. I believe ony one was built and the patents were bought out by one of the oil moguls, sad fact, this concept could have saved the worlds oil supplies.</HTML>

Posted by: Steve J (IP Logged)
Date: May 19, 2006 03:38AM

<HTML>Hi Ray

I have just been talking to Mrs Van Grecken, as we do work on their car, she was telling me the story of the Gvang (so I was checking it on the net when I found this site). She is going to drop in with the plans to show me. She has explained some of the history and yes, there was pressure from the fuel companies. Gene is quite active and is currently working on some aviation projects.

Regards

Steve J</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.