SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Adjusting the Water Level Automatioce
Posted by: Ron Schroeder (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2016 12:00AM

Anyone have any experience with setting up the water level automatic? I have added one to my model 63, but it obviously needs a bit of adjustment. Looking at the Dealer Bulletins and Technical correspondence revealed little of use. Mainly to mount it in front of the firewall crosswise, and that adjustment should be left to someone with experience!
I did a bit of back of the envelope engineering as follow:
Coefficient of expansion for brass is 10.4 * 10 to the minus 6
Length of the brass expansion tube is 17 inches
Thus a 100 degree temperature rise would lengthen the tube by about .0178"

Based on the preceding, 1/3 of a turn (2 flats) on the 1/4-20 nuts on the rods would be about .060" I thought I would start with opening the valve by that 1/3 turn from closed and see if that works.

Any better ideas would be welcomed

Re: Adjusting the Water Level Automatioce
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2016 03:24PM

Ron
One thing you need is at least three feet of 3/8 tubing on the back end to the lower fitting on the boiler.
On my 1920 this was located and mounted from the far side of the boiler across and below the condenser. This keeps the refill of the expansion tube cooler when refilling. Faster acting.
As far as setting the valve leave the return tube going back to the water tank off and the boiler water high and under steam. Open a blow down and bring the water down the expansion tube should close the bypass valve and start filling the boiler. When the water gets above the expansion tube the valve should close and buy pass the water out the hole where the return line to the water tank would be connecter.
I hope this helps.
Rolly

Re: Adjusting the Water Level Automatioce
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2016 04:07PM

In the search of this forum can be found more on this subject: [stanleysteamers.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.