SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Three Tube Indicator operation
Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: September 28, 2017 05:47PM

Hello everyone

Wonder if somebody can give me advice on the operation of the three tube indicator on our model 607. I realise it is installed perhaps too high, (original fitting reinstalled on a John Goold solid shell boiler. The Stanley instructions I have say try cock should be 4 1/2" from bottom of boiler and ours is about 6 1/4" from the boiler bottom.

I get about 1" rise and fall of the water in the sight glass but wonder if it should be more. Stanley instructions say 3" and I was expeting about half that.

Indicator is carefully filled and bled, filled with 50% antifreeze. Water runs through it fairly quickly when filling with indicator plug out, so there I have not put not too much new absorbent cotton under the screen at the bottom of the glass.

Wonder if the top fitting tube might be restricting flow in the standpipe?

Attachments: 100-0005_IMG_Crop.jpg (587.6KB)  
Re: Stanley Three Tube Indicator operation
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2017 12:22PM

I can't say for sure why, but I suspect that the upward loop above the 3-tube could cause some trouble. It's clear why it has to be there in this case - the extra-high mounting of the 3-tube won't allow for a fitting to come out of the top of the boiler and turn down to meet the 3-tube.

I usually see about 2" of difference between low and high in the glass, in this "tubular" version of the 3-tube (not the earlier casting version). But actually, if you're not overfilling the boiler, it seems like the indicator is producing enough information as it is. Just a bit different from other cars, but then no two of them work alike anyway.

Re: Stanley Three Tube Indicator operation
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2017 08:37PM

Kelly
The peter showed in the photo does not look original.
Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.