SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
steam turbine
Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: October 16, 2002 12:10AM

<HTML>Has anyone ever heard of Condor and Eagle, Inc. of Melbourne, FL. The President of the company William Batchelor was handing out info on his TJII Tornado Steam Turbine at the flea market in Melbourne a couple of years ago. He was trying to get people to invest in the project. He claimed 2 hp per pound for a turbine that could be used as a drop in replacement for current IC engines in cars and trucks. Had the feel of a scam. Took the info because it was free. Upon reading, it all was very vague with great claims for hp and fuel mileage. Just wondered if he was known in the serious steam community. Regards, Jim Reed</HTML>

Re: steam turbine
Posted by: tom ward (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2002 10:17AM

<HTML>There is much more to a steam engine than the cylinder and crankshaft. What most folks call an engine is actually just an expander; i.e. a piston, rotary, or turbine. An entire engine in my thinking includes the steam generator, the expander, a condensor or very large water tank, and a feed pump. If someone doesn't include a description of where the water comes from, a pump, how it is heated, and where the exhaust steam goes be very skeptical and definitely don't hand over any money.
As for the Tornado Turbine it appears to be an adaptaion of a wind energy concept I read about years ago. It would require a very large condensor in order to make it work.
Turbines can be very efficient when run at high speeds which means the weight of the 20:1 reduction gearing must be added to the weight of an entire system. The pros and cons of each expander type need to be matched to its intended use. For automotive use a rotary type appears to be the best if someone is clever enough to solve the sealing problem.</HTML>

Posted by: clif (IP Logged)
Date: February 24, 2006 01:33AM

<HTML>Yes I heard of him, I even invested money.

The last time I had contact with Mr. Batchelor, was with a letter dated January 2, 2000. If you have any information please let me know.</HTML>

Posted by: Linda (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:33PM

<HTML>If you ever get a contact number I would like it also, as I invested money and I still hold a certificate(that I am sure is worthless) thanks, Linda</HTML>

Posted by: Linda (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2006 05:52PM

<HTML>If you ever get a contact number I would like it also, as I invested money and I still hold a certificate(that I am sure is worthless) thanks, Linda</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.