SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Oil seperator's
Posted by: D.Morgan (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2002 10:22AM

<HTML>Hi,
We are rebuilding a 1923 740 rodster and I was woundering if anyone has tried installing an oil sperator on the condensate side befor it enters the condensor? If so what did you use and how did it work?
Does anyone know what pressure the condensate side runs at?

Dave Morgan
Maintenance Technician
L.C.J.V.S
15181 Rt 58
Oberlin, Ohio 44074
440-774-1051 ext.246
Fax 440-774-2144</HTML>

Re: Oil seperator's
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2002 11:16AM

<HTML>I wrote a paper on the subject. See "Papers" page of "Northeast" pages on SACA web site.
As for exhaust pressures, I have a gauge as a hood orniment on my condensor. In normal driving, no measurable pressure. Going fast up steep hills, 5-7 psi., maybe 10 psi maximum. If you build for 15 psi., no problem.</HTML>

Date: October 23, 2002 11:40AM

<HTML>Thanks Dave,
Not sure of the web site you mentioned do you have a web address for it?

I think we have talked in the past, when this project got started.
Since then we have had a new boiler made, the car is a rolling chassis.
The body guy is starting to referb the body. Myself and some other guys are working on the piping. Lots of valves and devices were sorting trought them all now and tring to find there home.

All the valves have been rebuilt by me and later I will have questions about adjusting some of the regulators. Steam devices will be calibrated by a certified shop near by. If you have any info or experience with setting any of the fuel regulators or etc. I would love to hear about it.

Dave Morgan
Maintenance Technician
L.C.J.V.S
15181 Rt 58
Oberlin, Ohio 44074
440-774-1051 ext.246
Fax 440-774-2144</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2002 01:55PM

<HTML>D.M.,
Back in March of this year their was a discussion thread on Oil Seperators started by Peter Heid and believe he has written a very extensive paper on it that JW will shortly be putting on the "papers" link. To view the old oil seperator thread you will have to keep clicking back on older messages until you get in the March 02 vicinity. So much info on this website!
Best, George</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 10:15AM

<HTML>SACA web site: <www.steamautomobile.com>.</HTML>

Date: October 29, 2002 10:08AM

<HTML>Hi David,

I found you artical, thank you I will be looking into this further.
Are you from the ohio area?

Dave</HTML>

Date: October 29, 2002 10:38PM

<HTML>Depends on your transport, far for a car or less. Northeastern Massachusetts.</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2002 01:08PM

<HTML>discussion thread on Oil Seperators started by Peter Heid
Has anyone seen the "papers" on this?
I have checked the sight over the past few days and haven't seen anything. I am interested in this if anyone knows how I can get a copy or get in touch with Peter please let me know.

Thanks
Dave</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2002 03:26PM

<HTML>D.Morgan,
Peter's Oil Separator paper is quite a substantial work -, unfortunately John has not yet had the time to put it on this website under "papers". Should be soon as John has almost completed the reclaimation of the entire website(after its total loss) and finding a new place to live. Hope it is soon.
Best, George</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2002 04:46PM

<HTML>Hi George,
Thanks for the update.
In the process of assembling the car and was thinking of building a seprator. I hope the paper is up soon.
Thanks for your help
Dave</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2002 05:14PM

<HTML>D. Morgan

I am sure John Woodson is working to get the paper on his web site as soon as he can. He is very busy with a back log of work, as George mentioned he had a bad computer failure and had to move to a new home. Somehow he managed to keep the web site up and keep the forum going during his troubles. Because of his help, I would like to see the paper on John's site before it gets spread around but if he can't get my paper on soon, I will email you a copy.

Stay tuned
Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Ron Parola (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2002 11:19PM

<HTML>Got one behind the rocker panel on the pass side, three chambers, filled with stainless scrubby pads. Steam has to zigzag through, has three drains which will drip for DAYS. Also have an IC care radiator cap installed on it acts as a vacuum break and as a pressure relief valve, using a 13 psi cap RP</HTML>

Date: November 04, 2002 10:03AM

<HTML> John has posted Peter Heid's extensive paper on oil separators in PDF format under papers link, will soon be in HTML as well---good reading!</HTML>

Re: Oil seperator paper
Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2002 08:27PM

<HTML>Hi Peter thank's for the paper.
I've finally read it right through and it is an excellent gathering of information.
My understanding of centipetal vs. centrifugal always tripped me up so I've been through the section on centrifugal seperators several times and I believe there is an error on Pg 10 bottom paragraph. "The centifugal force increases proportinately with a decrease in rotational radius"
I think this is incorrect and should be "increases with an increase in rotational diameter".
The example in Figure 7 Pg 10 appears to show this but this is because by holding the periferal speed constant (1000ft/min) in fact rpm for the 2 ft diameter drops to 159.1rpm compared to 318.3rpm for the 1 ft diameter.
Using the Figure 7 examples but using rpm and the same diameters in equation 2 Pg8 the increase in separating force due to doubling in diameter is obscured by the halving of rpm which is a squared term.
Sort of times 2 then divide by 4?
I hope my reasoning makes sense. If you want to email me direct (pav@xtra.co.nz) I can send you the excell sheet I had to put together to get my head round this.
Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Date: November 26, 2002 04:50PM

<HTML>Mark, your reasoning assumes fixed angular velocity: for a fixed number of revolutions/second the force is proportional to radius. For a fixed number of feet/second, the force is inversly proportional to radius. (I think)</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2002 09:39PM

<HTML>Thanks David
Yes I see now the sentence in Peter's paper infers this. ie "The centifugal force increases proportinately with a decrease in rotational radius (if the peripheral speed is unchanged) and increases by the square of the velocity"
Got it!
Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2002 07:11PM

<HTML>Thanx Dave,

You are following my line of thinking which I believe to be correct.

Ron,

I guess I could have been more clear on that one. I really mentioned centripetal force to prevent confusion with centrifugal force as the terms are often improperly used. I may be in error on many points as it is hard to find a proof reader that can edit that type of content but most of the information is confirmed by multiple references. There is at least one genuine mistake in there, see if you can find it. It will be corrected on the HTML version and may go unnoticed.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Girish Chaudhari (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2004 06:02AM

<HTML>kindly arrange to send fukther detail of contents & price for the same with delevery schedule.

<a href="mailto:&#110;&#101;&#114;&#103;&#97;&#97;&#114;&#100;&#64;&#114;&#99;&#110;&#46;&#99;&#111;&#109;?subject=Re: Oil seperator's">David K Nergaard</a> wrote:
>
> SACA web site: <www.steamautomobile.com>.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.