SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Empire burners
Posted by: Donald Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: November 18, 2001 12:16AM

<HTML>Today we lit an empire pilot light for the first time since 1966. My grandfather Earle drove a 1914 Stanley from 1928 to 1966 with an empire burner in it all over the country, up to the early 1960's. Any guys out there still running cars using this burner? Also- am looking for a usable 26" Empire burner.</HTML>

Re: Empire burners
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: December 07, 2001 06:32PM

<HTML>Don. I knew your Grandfather and the car. I have one that I am thinking of putting into service in my condensing car. I purchased a box of bits at one of the Stanley Museum's auctions and found some pilot parts that fit this burner. I hope to run the Empire burner off of my 1910 fuel system to check it out.
How do they steam compared to Stanley or Baker's? Any tips on pilot fuel pressure?

Howard Randall</HTML>

Date: December 08, 2001 01:27AM

<HTML>Pilot fuel pressure has to be below 6lbs- once heated the pilot burns without smoke- a nice blue flame- the nozzle is very small- smaller, I think, then a 66 drill. But doesn't clog or gum up. Interesting enough- there is no displacement wire- I guess that accounts for the lower fuel pressure. The mainburner pressure is normal- 120 to 140.

If the pilot is any indication the white hanky test that my grandfather did was an actual test- it really does burn that clean.

If you got an empire burner plate at the stanley auction I got the bottom piece!- I wasn't there- and when I got it at hershy I was surprised to find the slotted burner plate missing. Of course, without a good bottom there is not much advantage to having one over a regular baker, cruban or stanley burner.</HTML>

Posted by: Ron Parola (IP Logged)
Date: December 09, 2001 11:18PM

<HTML>Ok, so what IS an empire burner?, and why does it burn so clean?</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2001 01:04AM

<HTML>An empire burner is a single nozzle main burner set up with the pilot embedded in the main burner casting- and in the later pilot models, the pilot vaporizing tubes for the pilot was actually part of the pilot casting. This ensured that the main burner did not effect pilot operation. The one main burner nozzle with a drill # in the low 50's and air capacity about 25 % bigger than the baker burner venturi tubes. The burner was slotted like the baker- but sealed with a bottom casting which kept the whole thing in nice shape without leakage between the pan and the burner plate- so common in a regular burner. The air capacity and the clean burning pilot kept everything nice and clean burning.</HTML>

Posted by: coburn benson (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2001 01:48AM

<HTML>Does anyone know anything of the 26'' cruban w/rosebud burner groups ,,,,While were on burners ,,anybody got National Oil Heat burner,,,i'm looking for 14'' or larger AND info,,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2001 12:56AM

<HTML>Okay Coburn- what is a rosebud burner?</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2001 11:11AM

<HTML>Ed Gallant had a 26" Cruban/Empire "rosebud" burner laying on his shop floor for years, it was for his big green condensing Stanley with a 26" boiler. It is a burner with a whole bunch of Primus stove type burners that look like "rosebuds", all apperently screwed into the burner plate.</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2001 11:09PM

<HTML>Sort of like a 1.25 dia mushroom screw'd into the top casting, a whol field of em,,,the pilot assy seems not to have any parts in common w/the 23''Cruban unit,,,except in princeple,,,,an if you thot the 23'' was heayy,,come help me move this monster,,,my brain still smarts just below the #4 lumbar,,,I dont think the total grate area is any more than a good 26''burner ,,,one mans opinion,,sssubject to change [unlike my view on juce brakes] haha,, Cheers Ben

<a href="mailto:&#103;&#101;&#111;&#114;&#103;&#101;&#110;&#64;&#119;&#111;&#114;&#108;&#100;&#112;&#97;&#116;&#104;&#46;&#110;&#101;&#116;?subject=Re: Empire burners">George Nutz</a> wrote:
>
> Ed Gallant had a 26" Cruban/Empire "rosebud" burner
> laying on his shop floor for years, it was for his big green
> condensing Stanley with a 26" boiler. It is a burner with a
> whole bunch of Primus stove type burners that look like
> "rosebuds", all apperently screwed into the burner
> plate.</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2001 11:55PM

<HTML>Hi,
This discussion has answered a question for me, as sounds as if I have one of these burners that you are describing, it came with a Brooks chassis that I bought earlier this year, and as you say it is very heavy, unfortunatly mine is in very poor condition and the pilot section is missing, it has one very large mixing tube, is this correct? Jeff.</HTML>

Date: December 15, 2001 01:30AM

<HTML>Yews- you have an empire burner- I am not familiar with the rosebud type since I now have 4 empire burners and they are all single large venturi slotted main burners- the later pilot is all one casting- no vaporzing tubing as it is inside the casting- and the pilot is a drilled type that spells out empire. If anyone has a good main burner branch nozzle assembly for empire I need it.</HTML>

Date: December 15, 2001 01:35AM

<HTML>Coburn- my grandfather Earle had a 30" diameter Empire burner on a model 735 - I don't thing he ever dropped the thing. Can you imagine how heavy that was? About the same as a 23" boiler- I would guess. Have you heard that the later empire burners had an air nozzle and fed air in under pressure with the main burner fuel? I still have the air pump for the pump box to keep the air pressure up!</HTML>

Re: 30 inch dia. Empire burner?
Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: December 21, 2001 01:42PM

<HTML>You meant a 30 H.P. Empire burner didn't you. You do not have 30 inches of clearance between the front spring on a model 735.</HTML>

Date: December 21, 2001 09:37PM

<HTML>Just in fun,,,I have once in a while got to back up [on the racer] when I forget that the wheels hit the perch poles , my turning circle is about 20' greater than a Rolls limo I actually went over to Castle Hill to survey the course to see if I would need to back up at the hairpin wow I coulb NOT make it THEN a grounds keeper told me for the ocasion that it would be socially acceptable to run on the grass on BOTH sides Hey this could be fun running with Bugatti and Bentley ALL with 4 wheel brakes Bentley missed an got Jacked an' towed,,clean miss an hung up !! Any body else out there up for some 1905-10 style racing ,,,see me under the grand stand ,,road race -- hillclimb OK ,,,,NO dirt track OK??? cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: December 23, 2001 01:38AM

<HTML>If that is correct- that is why the front end was moved out about 12- 18" to accomadate, along with the condenser- a fan was also added- along with hydralic brakes- at the cruban shop in NYC.</HTML>

Date: December 23, 2001 06:58PM

<HTML>OOps Pat I think is correct ,,,I'll go back a bit,,,,,The '' rosebud burner is a 30 HP 26'' unit ,,,,,car is std frame , front, boiler mount foreward a bit std condenser,,etc My refrence to backing up is w/ the Bouderman Vanderbuilt car w/ the 30'' boiler,,,the steering is quick,,built for the roads of the day ,,when ya could open the throttle an bring''er''round,,NNNOt so easy on pave' Ya gotta be very careful to judge corners but you do acclimate to it,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: BillShekooley (IP Logged)
Date: April 18, 2002 09:29PM

<HTML>Donald, I at one time owned your father's 1914 20 hp roadster. I still have the burner that came with it and the mounting ring, also I have a foot throttle mechanism which he must have installed at one time. I just borrowed a computer to see what was on and came across your posting, I do not have a computer but you can write to me. W. Shekooley, 8116-76 Avenue, Edmonton Alberta, Canada, T6C 0H8. Thanks. Bill</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.