SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Abner Doble 1937 to 1949?
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2002 03:04PM

<HTML>Does anyone really know what Abner Doble was doing between the time he came back to the U.S. from England in September of 1936, until he started his consulting with the revived Stanley Steam Motors Corporation in 1940?
I know about the Stanley, Cleaver-Brooks, Greyhound and McCulloch work, all of which was AFTER 1940.
Filling this gap in Abner's history is the last thing to accomplish before handing in the finished Doble book manuscript to my publisher.
Anyone's help will sure be appreciated.
Jim</HTML>

Re: Abner Doble 1937 to 1949?
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2002 07:54PM

<HTML>
Hi Jim,
In response to your request for info, I came across this reference to Mr Doble in a June 1937 issue of Light Steam Power and more info in the July issue, it is stated that Mr Doble had put forward a intriguing proposition to L.S.P. that he should prepare working drawings and a descriptive article, month by month over a period of two years, payment for this work it was suggested would be raised by increasing the price of the magazine for the two year period, the editor then goes on to ask for readers to write in saying if they would subscribe to the price of the supplement, in the July issue it looked like response was poor.
regards, Jeff.</HTML>

Date: November 27, 2002 02:18PM

<HTML>Jeff,
I think this is exactly what Abner was doing in those two years before he went to work for Stanley. He was taking stock of his situation, trying to make some money and see if he could stirr up another outfit to finance his dreams.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2002 07:16PM

<HTML>Jim,

I have an article on the life of Abner Doble coming soon, I don't know what the name of the magazine is yet. If there are any clues to the mystery I will keep you posted.

Peter heid</HTML>

Date: November 28, 2002 01:32AM

<HTML>Peter,
Thanks for letting me know. Be very wary of any history of Abner, authors have given completely phony data many times before, and then other would be authors just copy them again.
I certainly would like to see this. Do let me know when you get it.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Martin Werbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2002 11:36AM

<HTML>Hello Jim,
I found some information that might be helpful to you.
Richard Roosen from Henschels wrote in his book :
"After his return to the USA , Abner Doble continued to work intensive on the development of the steam propulsion. He showed me his projects and results
with three expansion stages and temperatures up to 500 °C when I visited him
in Chicago in late 1949.
He kept loyal to his aims until his death about ten years ago.
I`m still on friendly terms with Warren Doble, who has turned to other technical
domains after his time in Kassel, but is still regarded as a great pioneer by those
making new attemps in the USA today" (referring to the Californian steam buses in 1971)
In an article about Doble in Old Motor Volume 11 No 5, Maurice Hendry wrote:
"Doble continued to receive royalities from these German firms (operating the
Doble/Henschel buses/trucks) until the end of 1941."
I`m very keen on seeing your Doble book ! Hope that it will also be available
here in Germany. I would be glad trying to help you, if you need any further
information about the Henschel/Doble projects.

With best regards, Martin.</HTML>

Date: December 03, 2002 01:12PM

<HTML>Martin,
Thanks for the e-mail.
It does appear that Abner was not working for anyone until he took up a consulting contract with the revived Stanley Steam Motors Corporation in late 1939.
The book will be published by Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, CA.
Maurice Hendry's statements about Abner and the Doble steam cars is consistantly bad and completely wrong. I trust nothing that he wrote in his series in Old Motor, which I have. He had everything all mixed up.
Strange, because his earlier article in Automobile Quarterly was generally correct, except for getting the Doble models all confused.
We are going to reprint the Rosen report and the British booklet, plus some other material about the Henschel work.
Regards
Jim</HTML>

Date: December 03, 2002 04:44PM

<HTML>Hi Jim,
Do you have copies of the L.S.P. magazine dated June and July 1937, if not I can email the details of the info printed in them. Jeff</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 02:16PM

<HTML>Jeff,
I have the whole LSP set, am going through them now. Will revise the text if I find anything significant.
Thanks
Jim</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 08:00PM

<HTML>Hi Jim,
Have you any duplicates, I have a few of the early ones missing, pre 1945, and a few of the last after 1979 missing, I have been trying to get a complete set together, I have duplicates from1949 through to 1969 for exchange for other steam car mags/books, Jeff.</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 02:09PM

<HTML>Jeff,
Sorry; but no duplicates. This is Roy Anderson's bound volumes from #1 to the end. I guess Walton is still going strong; but I don't see the magazine any more being advertised.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: December 19, 2002 02:29PM

<HTML>Jim,

Sorry but the Jan 1956 "Modern Man" article That I had been waiting for had very little about Dobles actual life. Not entirely as advertised but a great article for my archives. I was wondering, there is a picture of Warren standing next to a Vee twin engine on a stand mounted with the cylinders pointed down, is this any relation to the Bessler airplane engine ?

Peter Heid</HTML>

Date: December 20, 2002 03:23PM

<HTML>Peter,
No, this is the auxiliary engine Warren and Besler designed and used in one of the F cars. Half the steam consumption of the F pump.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Jeanne Harris Powell (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2002 10:28PM

<HTML>My Great Uncle was Abner Doble. My Great Aunt, Ailene Doble was Abner's wife. Aunt Mid as we called her, was my grandfather's sister. I could easily find out from my family what Abner was doing during the time you requested. I live in Windsor, Ca. about 10 minutes north of Santa, Rosa were Abner and Ailene built their last house together.

I am very curious to see one of my Uncle 's cars. I remember my Great Aunt telling me stories about Uncle Ab and his cars. One involved the delivery of a Doble to Howard Hughes.

They were an interesting couple and he was an eccentric according to my mother.

I hope to hear from you and exchange information.

Thank-you, Jeanne Harris Powell</HTML>

Re: Abner Doble?Pre/MIT?
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2002 01:36PM

<HTML>Oh,,What a wonderful post,,,,Now for a odd Question,,,,While looking up patents in the Boston Public Library,,,I found refrence to the NEW air tires used on the latest [horse] racing sulkey,,A new record was set,,1894--96 era,,,,and the record was lowerd by 6 sec[from memory],,,Now heres the catch The horse was NANCY and owned by a lady in [Brookline][?] cant recall the first name,,,DOBLE,,,,So were the boys at Mit partly because they had relatives here,also ,,, Also If my memory holds,,,1 or more of Abner's patents was assigned to a Ms Doble [1030983,,,,,,,1040289,,,assigned to Helen A Doble Brookline,,1911 + 1912,,,Doble Engineering is still alive as ever,,,new products of course,,,and the standard of the trade,,the calibration pot to adjust MASTER guages[electric] As I recall tel 617 -926-4900 at 85 Walnut st Watertown Less than a mile from the old Stanley factory ,,,'an SES,,,, I just couldnt resist to ask,,,The Stanley boys were into racing horses too,,! ! ! All for now Ben in Maine P/s I just also noted A.D 's patent for what looks like a kerosene vaporizer for a SLEEVE VALVE gas engine,,,1232777 app/1Oct1912 CB</HTML>

Re: Abner Doble?Pre/MIT?
Date: December 29, 2002 03:23PM

<HTML>Hi Ben,
The Doble family is very large and well spread all over the East Coast. They well could have had relatives in and around the Newton-Boston area, although nothing was ever mentioned about them.
Could be that their father asked some relative in the area to keep an eye on them?
Helen A. Doble was Abner's first wife.
The patent assignment may just have been part of the divorce settlement between Abner and Helen in 1926.
The tires I know nothing about.
Abner was working in his shop in Waltham, Mass. in 1912 and this just could have been some offshoot of his and John's carburetor burner inventions.
Jim</HTML>

Date: December 29, 2002 03:25PM

<HTML>Jeanne,
Just tried to e-mail you; but your address gets refused.
Please e-mail me directly at jdcrank@pacbell.net.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Caryl Doble (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2005 01:26PM

<HTML>Jim,

I recently came upon this web site and was thrilled to read about inquiries of a relative. Did you complete the book? If so, please contact me with the title and where I might obtain one.

Sincerely,

Caryl Doble

PS...my father, Robert Bruce Doble, who passed in 1996, built the first computer which is on display in Pennsylvania.</HTML>

Posted by: michael x. mccaskill (IP Logged)
Date: January 22, 2006 07:06AM

<HTML>grew at 3449 verde vista drive on Holand heights. My oldest brother daniel use to hang out with abne doble in his garage 3 houses down the steet in santa rosa. they became best of friends tinkering around in abners garage. I remember seeing all of those wonderful stteem cars in his garage just like they were in exibition. great memories of a great man.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.