SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Automatic Cutoff
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2002 04:58PM

<HTML>I just got done reading the April 1957 edition of Road & Track magazine, more specifically the article on the Paxton Phoenix project. I can't help but wonder how much of the McCulloch money was spent on the Doble designed steam system. 1800 psi and 1200 degrees don't come cheap and the article hints at the complexity of the steam system. The alternate belt drive torque converter and opposed piston IC engines were a bit off the wall, but I would think more cost effective. To the point though, the article mentions the steam engine having automatic cutoff. I was wondering if this was real, effective and simple, they claimed to have dyno tested the steam engine but no results were published in this article. I figure this might have been another stumbling block in the steam design that never got solved but I have to wonder. Does anyone know about the automatic cutoff they used ?

Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: Automatic Cutoff
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2002 12:41PM

<HTML>See SAE paper S338 by Dooley and Bell, Jan. 22 1962. This has been reprinted in Steam Automobile Magazine, but I will have to look up date and issues.
A water rate of 6.5 lb./hp.-hr. on dynomometer test was claimed. The engine used the Serpollet sliding cam shaft gear, but the reproduced engine drawings don't show how it was controlled.</HTML>

Re: Automatic Cutoff
Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2002 08:20PM

<HTML>The entire set of Paxton articles from Light Steam power has been added to the end of the "Doble Steam Cars" book by JN Walton. This book, now the 4th edition is avaliable from
[www.lightsteampower.freeserve.co.uk]

Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.