SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dayland Engine
Posted by: Richard Horsham (IP Logged)
Date: January 27, 2002 02:33PM

<HTML>Can anyone advise me about the Dayland engine and its suitability for a Locomobile, or Mobile car? I understand that these engines were made in the 1930's as a stronger alternative to the standard locomobile engine, but were they a 'modern' improvement or a genuine replacement? Surely it was the former, but where were they made, and are there any still about, or are drawings available? I am beginning the long task of planning to make a Locomobile and would appreciate some opinions on the question of the Dayland engine, and was it better than the original engines?</HTML>

Re: Dayland Engine
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 28, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>I am going by memory on this, so take it with due suspicion. The Dayland was built as a replacement for early Stanley types, it is larger than any Locomobile engine and was not set up for chain drive. It was written up in early issues of "Steam Automobile", I will try to find which issues. For a while, the plans were available from SACA Stores, I don't know if they still are.</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: January 29, 2002 05:33PM

<HTML>The latest Stanley Museum Quarterly Volume XX No4 has an advertisement for the Day- land engine drawings and casting sets. $5 for a study set.
Errol's Steamworks, 3123 Baird Rd, Nth Vancouver, B.C. Canada V7K 2G5.

I'm sure back issues of the SACA Bulletin has discussions on machining the Day-Land engine. I'll check tonight.
Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: January 30, 2002 07:53AM

<HTML>March June 98 appears to be the last mention of machining the Day land engine See SACA Bulletins
Vol 12, Nos 2, 1 Vol 11 Nos 6, 5,4,
The Steam power club is working on a Likamobile (Locomobile replica) that has a Dayland engine. The Clarkson Donut valve was replaced with a D valve in 1999.

Cheers Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: coburn benson (IP Logged)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:13PM

<HTML>Hi ,,,,If youre buildin' a Loco,,,,,Why not go the simple route,,,,Use a Loco engine {the early ones were Mason Regulator Co ]] There seems to be about 4 or 5 of these ,for every car left as the engines were not worn out when the car became obsulete or otherwise used up,,,,Now ,,finding a #4 Stanley engine ,,,thats another matter,,,,trade 4 to 1,,,Maybe 6 if its good,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Richard Horsham (IP Logged)
Date: January 31, 2002 07:33PM

<HTML>Thanks for the advice everyone. Here in the UK I hope the engine availability is as good as the USA. I'm still not sure of the advantages and disadvantages of both types of engine, the Dayland and the Mason. Is it correct that the Mason needs periodic overhauling and stripping? If so is it a difficult task? I am new to this game and might very well be asking pointless and unproductive questions. Can anyone help me towards asking the most useful ones? Richard</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: January 31, 2002 08:32PM

<HTML>Hi Richard, I spoke with you a while ago about your Locomobile project, If you want to view both the Mason and the Dayland I have cars here that are fitted with these engines that you can see, If you are going to all the truoble of building a replica, you may as well build it to the original spec, you will find it difficult to find an engine here in the UK, but they seem to come up for sale in the States regularly, hope this helps, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: February 04, 2002 12:32PM

<HTML>Hi Richard,

I have seen as many as 5 Locomobile engines for sale at the annual flee market held in Hershey, PA., USA. Several were complete with pump(S), depending on age. This sale is held each October. Someware, I have the names of several vendors that had engines for sale, and I know of one other for sale in Florida.

These engines are quite simple and easy to work on. Because they were out in the open and exposed to road dust, well used ones often need bearing surfaces replaced. Once done with modern materials and run on paved roads, I think they would be quite reliable.

If I can be of any help with your search, my e-mail is steamin-yankee@att.net

Regards,

Howard Randall</HTML>

Posted by: Ken Wood (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2002 08:01PM

<HTML>Hi Richard

Check out this web site

[www.theengineersemporium.co.uk]

There art a couple of Locomobile engines ??? or parts ???

Ken Wood</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.