SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Newcomen Model
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: December 26, 2002 02:20PM

<HTML>Does anyone happen to know of any company that makes a working model of the Newcomen engine?
JC</HTML>

Re: Newcomen Model
Posted by: G. B. Gilbert (IP Logged)
Date: December 27, 2002 03:18AM

<HTML>I've been searching ... seems that I've seen one but I can't be sure... I found a Newcomen society and I think they should know.
[www.newcomen.org];

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2002 11:55AM

<HTML>Didn't Watt get his start in steam by being given the task of making a Newcomen model work? He found the loses inherent in the engine to be so large compared with its power that a much larger than "scale" boiler was needed. Maybe working Newcomen models simply don't exist in sellable sizes.</HTML>

Date: December 28, 2002 02:29PM

<HTML>Hi David,
Problem is that years ago, I saw one working. About 3' high and it had a pump on it that let it really do some work pumping from a small tank and dumping back in again.
Yes, Watt did get his ideas from fixing a working model Newcomen engine at the University.
JC</HTML>

Posted by: Bruce Waterworth (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2002 10:36PM

<HTML>Try www.theengineersemporium.co.uk they may have what you are looking for. Also www.camdenmin.co.uk have a new book just out called The Non Rotative Beam Engine. [initally developed by Newcomen]
Good luck, Bruce.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2003 11:38AM

<HTML>The English publication Model Engineer has in the past had articles about model newcomen engines - they can be made to work quite well. I did a bit of work on a large model, a replica of an 18th century one at Glasgow University, and it ran well 'fired' by a couple of kettle hearting elements.</HTML>

Date: January 08, 2003 01:04PM

<HTML>Peter,
Yes, I have seen one many years ago, and several TV programs have shown them. But; where do I buy one? No one seems to have any Newcomen engine available, and I have tried dozens of web sites and the Newcomen Society.
JC</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: January 14, 2003 07:21PM

<HTML>Jim

Try the Engineers' Emporium at

[www.engineersemporium.co.uk]

They may be able to tell you whats the chance of finding a model newcomen engine

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: G. B. Gilbert (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2003 02:02AM

<HTML>Try this ; London Shade, :
[www.ioc.net];

Posted by: Roland Evans (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2003 09:52PM

<HTML>These are not Models of the Newcomen engine.
They just used the name Newcomen Model There not even close to a Newcomen engine. The Newcomen engine used a spray of water to condense the steam and move the piston.</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2003 11:13AM

<HTML>Rolly, the later Newcomen engines used a spray of water. The earlier ones did not until it was found that an engine with a leaking piston ran better than it's nieghbors! A layer of water on top of the piston was used to ensure the leather seal would work.</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: January 27, 2003 11:50AM

<HTML>David
I was referring to inside the cylinder. A spray of water was used to condense the steam to pull the piston down. Your correct that later he used water on top of the piston to help seal the engine, as there was apparently no cylinder head. It was a single acting engine and used vacuum to do the work not pressure. The complete pump shaft going down into the mine was counter balanced at each level and not much horsepower was required. It is amazing to me that they could build these engines at the time with such large castings and I wonder what kind of finish the cylinder would have.</HTML>

Re: Newcomen details
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: January 27, 2003 12:29PM

<HTML>Hi Jim ,,Its been sept' of 66 since I was at the South Kensington Museum,,,,Seems to me I recall the bore was trued w/a trammel and hand chisel,,,,thats why the wear on the leather and need for water seal,,,,,XXXXX A not so relavent point, crossheads were not used until the PLAINER was invented,,,thats why the early stuff used parallel link motion,,,XXXXXX strap an'key was used for a long time cause course thread nuts wold spinn off,,, this much later of course,,,except that course thread stuff still spin off,,,haha ,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Re: Newcomen details
Posted by: James Parker (IP Logged)
Date: November 13, 2004 01:01PM

<HTML>Sussex Steam at www.sussexsteam.co.uk have brought out a model Newcomen Engine Kit.</HTML>

Posted by: Dean (IP Logged)
Date: May 22, 2005 08:22PM

<HTML>I found this site.....think its what you are looking for.......D

[home.fastnet.co.uk];

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.