SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
una-flow engine book
Posted by: Kevin Harpham (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2002 12:20AM

<HTML>I want to purchase a book titled "The Una-Flow Steam Engine" by Johannes Stumpf. The originals (or what I think are the originals) run around $300 to $375, more than I want to spend. There is a print on demand reprint that can be bought for $73 but the description says "charts and graphics may be obscured" and it only has 238 pages where the originals have 319. I was wondering if anyone has purchased the reprint or has had a chance to compare the two books.

My questions would be.
What quality is the reprint and is anything left out?
What would be a resonable price for an original?
Is there an original edition that is more desirable?

The originals I have seen are the 2nd edition
Any comments on this would be appreciated

Kevin Harpham</HTML>

Re: una-flow engine book
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2002 01:44AM

<HTML>Kevin,

I have been looking for a copy of this text at a price I can afford also but it seems to always be in the $300 plus range. I have never seen a first edition advertised and I can't tell you of the reprint quality. I have often wondered what information might be in this book that hasn't been reprinted in other books.

Still wondering
Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2002 01:56PM

<HTML>Kevin-Peter,
The original edition of "The Unaflow Engine" by Stumph is simply the best, and to my knowledge, only book written on the unaflow engine and why it is such a highly regarded design. $300-$400 for a clean copy is not too expensive when you consider the amount of information it contains.
As you said Peter, it certainly is a rare book, probably didn't have any sales originally at all. Even Besler had to borrow my copy.
The creation of a superior modern steam car demands the best possible research and that is expensive, or else one should content himself with some condensing Stanley.
If some angel in the group wishes to publish a reproduction, I might loan my mint copy for such an endevor.
Jim</HTML>

Date: December 30, 2002 04:54PM

<HTML>Jim,

I'm starting to think an original would be worth the money.

Like Peter, I have never seen a first edition advertised. I have only seen the second edition. Is the second edition what you have or recommend?

Kevin</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2002 05:20PM

<HTML>I wonder if we could interest Lindsay books in such a republication...

The only problem with this is, I believe it is necessary to cut the binding loose on the ordinal in order to get proper scans of the pages. In other words the ordinal becomes a pile of loose pages.

...And the steam flows on...
Garry</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2002 08:17PM

<HTML>It is a shame to hurt a quality book in any way but I have seen books unbound and rebound with no changes visable. The possability of loss or damage when shipping a rare book worries me more than the process of repair or rebinding. It would be hard to convince me to ship a book that I know of no additional copies of. Jim, you are a brave man to offer, to even let that one out of your hands.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2002 10:34PM

<HTML>Sadly, both editions of Prof Stumpf's book were printed on German sulphite (wood pulp) paper. The copies I have seen are now so fragile that even opening the book to read it causes pages to break and fall out. While I was an employee of MIT, I had them commit the second edition to micro film, then bought a copy of said film. It may be possible to obtain further copies of that film from the MIT Engineering Library.
The second edition is much better than the first, having much more detailed theoretical analyses and descriptions of many more engines.</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: December 31, 2002 11:40AM

<HTML>
The Una-Flow Steam-Engine
Author: Stumpf,J.
Condition: VG+, no dj. Front endpapers cracked over hinges. Clean text. Second edition. Original publication of the Stumpf Una-Flow Engine Company. Heavily illustrated with photos and drawings. 319 pages.
Format: Hardcover
Associated Dealer: Vera Enterprises L.L.C.
Our Price: $469.25
More Info...</HTML>

Date: December 31, 2002 01:03PM

<HTML>Garry,
Absolutely NO cutting.
Jim</HTML>

Date: December 31, 2002 01:05PM

<HTML>Peter,
If someone wanted to reprint the book, I would have the scanning done here. The book does not leave my files under any circumstances.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Fergus Dunlop (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2003 04:56PM

<HTML>
Dave, could you advise me how I would go about getting a copy of the microfiche from the MIT library. There is a book in the British Library in London by a Thomas Allen, about the ' Unaflow engine,back pressure and....' can't remember the full title unfortuntely it is for reading at the library only.regards Fergus</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2003 05:00PM

<HTML>Fergus, I don't know off hand but will enquire. Could you recirocate by finding if the British Library would consider microfilming the book?</HTML>

Posted by: Fergus Dunlop (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2003 10:23PM

<HTML>The 1st edition of Stumpf (1911) and the 2nd edition (1931) are available in the Library of congress, along with the Thomas Allen book "uniflow,back pressure and steam extraction engines etc,"
hope that is of some help.
Fergus
p.s. unfortunately I am in Europe!</HTML>

Date: January 02, 2003 06:35AM

<HTML>David & Fergus,

Thanks for the info on the 2 different editions. I went ahead and picked up the second from Abebooks. If I hadn't I would always wish I had. I would liked to have heard from someone who bought the reprint but I'm assuming it was a copy of the first edition due to the low page count and the 1912 publishing date.

Now just when I thought I had all the books I want, someone mentions Uniflow, back-pressure and steam extraction engines by Thomas Allen 1931.

Kevin</HTML>

Date: January 02, 2003 08:39AM

<HTML>This book is available to order new from microfilm.

[www.astrologos.org]

Author: Stumpf Johannes.
Title: The una-flow steam-engine.
Description: AS NEW - Print-to-order B&W REPRINT of original book published: London Constable and co. ltd. 1912. illus. 238 Pages Expertly printed on acid-free archival quality paper - Softcover perfect bound (or Hardcover Cloth Buckram binding for additional $10.) Charts photographs & graphics may reproduce less than perfectly & may be reduced to fit pages. SPECIAL ORDER Allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. No Refund or Exchange.
Price: $89.00(Soft Cover)

To change your option for hard cover or soft cover please visit 'View Cart'
Rolly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2003 02:42PM

<HTML>David, Rolly et al,
The site you listed [www.astrologos.org] looks like they will reprint your book from microfilm. I would be interested in a copy should this develop further.
Dick</HTML>

Date: January 02, 2003 03:43PM

<HTML>Dick That’s what it looks like to me. I think all you have to do is e-mail them and place the order. Let us know how you do.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2003 08:40PM

<HTML>I hear you Jim. There are things I have around here, I am almost afraid to touch for fear of hurting them.

I haven't a clue as to how to start, but I wonder if by some remote chance, the original publisher might still have the 'galley proofs'?

One of those friend of a friend stories, if I get this right though, the publisher's 'proofs' could be of better quality than the published text. Assuming they have been stored in any kind of a decent fashion, heck if they even still exist, it would be an easier job for someone like Lindsay to republish this work.

The thing that worries me, and not just about steam, is we are losing valuable knowledge and history to over a century of books published on acid paper. It is a true heart break for me to open a book and watch its pages crumble under my gaze, knowing I may be the last to ever read the thoughts of the writer.

Dang... If this cloudy weather don’t lift, I am going to get down right moody...
:)
Garry</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:40PM

<HTML>Jim, since I missed out on my bid for Stumpf's book, and the other one I bought wasn't availiable after they took my money, I may not be able to get a copy to commit to cd.

If you are interested, there is a way to photograph the book digitally from a short distance without hurting it. The image can then be straightened out to look flat so the type doesn't curl in at the center or using character recognition software to convert to a more compact format.

I know you wouldn't want to part with the book, but if you're willing to photograph it I'd be willing to process it to cd.

Thank you-----------Bill G.</HTML>

Posted by: angsiglar (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2007 08:19PM

Granted all this took place several years ago, but...

If you google the title of Prof. Stumpf's book you will find the 1911 ed. is available, complete, from Google Books, .pdf format. Download it and save it. No charge. If you must have it in paper, most print shops will do it from a .pdf file for around $0.04/page. Binding's extra.

Staying with the google concept, there is a listing from the University of Wisconsin for the 1922 edition in .pdf format. Download, save as. Take it to a printer if you want.

Google is well on the way to putting over 15 million significant title on line in .pdf format by 2011. Always try them first for books.

Re: una-flow engine book - Print-on-Demand
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2007 03:52AM

My museum, the North Texas History Center (www.northtexashistorycenter.org), has done five print-on-demand books. We reprinted three and published two new titles within the past three years. In addition, I reprinted my dissertation this fall. It won the 1985 Nevins Prize and was published by Columbia University Press in 1990. It was politically incorrect and they never reprinted, so there were only 1,000 copies in cloth.

The process with an existing book requires sacrificing an original copy, although the book can be rebound. The folks we work with create digital plates by scanning each page. The photographs loose a little bit in the process, but in the case of my dissertation, "Ingenious Yankees: The Rise of the American System of Manufactures in the Private Sector," this was an acceptable compromise, given that The Time Museum in Rockford, IL no longer existed. I sell "Ingenious Yankees" for $30.00. If you're intereated in wooden movement clock, axe, watch, or typewriter manufacturing in the 19th century, this is a must have book.

The cost is very reasonable. I printed 300 copies of my dissertation for under $2,700, and the NTHC just did an 8 x 10 format book (200 copies) with many photos (all B&W) for under $2,000. We can order as few as 25 copies and as many as 2,000 at one time. If you discover an error, you fix it on the next printing at virtually no cost. As you can see, I am a great fan of the new print-on-demand technology.

Speaking of Google Books, I've looked at a few things and find that the people doing the scanning are often sloppy.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT . . . to the Rolly who is restoring the 1924 Stanley Model 750, I have new in formation on cylinder oil tanks. You may not have an after market tank but rather the new tank that was also used on the 1925 SV 252.

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Posted by: TH (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:27PM

The English second edition is available online as a free pdf file.

[www.archive.org]

Tom

Posted by: Bill G. (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2008 06:35PM

Thank You Tom!

Great Find, I downloaded it right to my desktop.

Best Regards ------- Bill G.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.