SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Kidney indicators
Posted by: Adam Walkup (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2003 10:40PM

<HTML>I'm trying to get the kidney indicator apart to see if it is just stuck, or if that magnet has no more magnification. Does anyone know how to get these apart, or have a diagram of them??

Adam</HTML>

Re: Kidney indicators
Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2003 12:09AM

<HTML>Been there, done that. I will write something and post it later. (I don't have unlimited access)</HTML>

Posted by: Arnoud Carp (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2003 06:28PM

<HTML>If the shaft is free you can hear it movig if you tilt the gage . if you have the face horizontal see if the pointer has a preferent position if not either the magnet or the pointer or both can be at fault. the bottom flange of the finned tube removing the six slotted bolts will open the main boddy the internal balance arm can now be carefully removed. Usually the internal is either corroded or gummed up depending on wether the condenser was linked up or not. for opening the magnet pocket dont put strain on the finned tube: put the hexagon in a large spanner or vice before applying any torque to the octagon. everything is straightforward

Arnoud</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2003 12:39AM

<HTML>Only thing I can add is once youhave removed six bolts holding stem to bottle, and broken the seal, one must be careful to tilt the stem towards the fat part of the bottle while lifting it out. The lead counterweight will clear the hole only if the float ball is nearly touching the bottle wall.
I have found it a good idea to open the magnet chamber and clean it out every couple of years. The magnet tends to collect any rust particles in the water and after a while they restrict the gauge movement. In my car, the dash board hole is so small, it is necessary to unscrew the magnet dial to remove the gauge from the car. The dial won't go through the hole!</HTML>

Date: January 15, 2003 08:39PM

<HTML>I was able to get the indicator apart today, but the little balls are TOTALLY deteroriated. Any possible supply of these? or does anybody know someone that makes the "guts" to the kidney idicators?
Adam</HTML>

Date: January 16, 2003 12:43PM

<HTML>The float was solid aluminum, the counter weight solid lead. The aluminum ball was about one inch in diameter. Use enough lead that the ball is half submerged when the shaft is horizontal.
Alternative; buy a two inch diameter stainless steel float from Small Parts Inc. (800-220-4242), part # U-MFX-32. I have had one in my gauge for two years now, it works better than the original but has a smaller range. The gauge goes from stop to stop in less than four inches change in water level rather than about five. Note, the stiffening ribs in many of the bottles are not far enough apart to allow the two inch float to pass.</HTML>

Date: January 17, 2003 11:31AM

<HTML>So this is a hollow float that can take the 600 lbs of pressure in the body of the indicator?? Must be some float!</HTML>

Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2003 01:27PM

<HTML>Hi,,,Ive seen the thing,,,a stainless ping pong ball,,,Dave really has it in there,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: January 18, 2003 11:10AM

<HTML>The catalog states that float is rated to 1000 psi.</HTML>

Posted by: tlaferriere (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2008 01:56PM

When I remove the face of the gauge on my mine, the pointer can be lifted off. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Tom Laferriere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2008 02:01PM by tlaferriere.

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2008 03:03PM

This is normal for the needle to easily be lifted off of it's post. The gauge needle is magnetized like a compass needle with North and South poles. The needle follows the movement of the magnet located on the inside of the kidney gauge. A nonferrous diaphram seperates the float magnet from the magnetized indicator needle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.