SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
WATER INJECTOR
Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2003 01:16AM

<HTML>QUESTION TO THE STEAM COMMUNITY. IF A WATER INJECTOR CAN PUMP TO A BOILER COULD IT POWER A HYDRAULIC MOTOR. I KNOW THERE IS A MANUFACTURER WHO PRODUCES A MOTOR THAT THE WORKING FLUID IS WATER NOT OIL. I'M A NON- ENGINEER SO APPRECIATE ANY ANSWERS. I FIGURE STEAM VELOCITY TO WATER PRESSURE THERE WON'T BE A CONDENSING PROBLEM , BUT WOULD THE MOTOR PRODUCE ANY POWER????????????????????????????? THANKS, EARL</HTML>

Re: WATER INJECTOR
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2003 02:52PM

<HTML>Hi Earl,
Your question can have several very long answers. The short answer is yes. The second question is why? I don't understand your comment on a "condensing problem". A 100 horse power boiler with a 1" injector can probably supply nearly 500 gallons of water an hour from a 74 Deg. F source at about 150 psi. Half of that water needs to back into the boiler to keep making steam. You're left with about 4 gpm of hot water at 150 psi to run your car and the trailer towing ten 55 gallon drums of water and a huge boiler and the fuel for about a one hour ride. The water motor would have to be geared down so much in order to move this mass that the distance traveled would have to be measured in furlongs per fortnight. It would be great if it would work, but alas that is why we don't have any "Physics Police" . Some laws just cannot be broken.
Dick</HTML>

Re: WATER INJECTOR
Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: September 29, 2003 10:29AM

<HTML>My steam garden tractor project had me looking at what you mentioned
here.Since many newer tractors run hydrostatic transmissions and need the engine to turn a pump.
I agree with the injector remark,but might add on a hydrostatic drive ...
a steam pump might work better.Maybe even replacing the steam engine outright with a hydrualic motor on aux. units like your alternator for lights ,feedpumps,and blowers.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.