SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
brooks stock certificate
Posted by: Lance Thomas 403-948-5894 (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2001 07:25PM

<HTML>Hello. I have searched all over the net for information on brooks steam motor car information as I recently found an old brooks steam car stock certificate from 1927 for shares in the brooks steam car company. About the only thing I have found out is that very few cars were produced (67? or less) and that the brooks went down sometime shortly after the great crash of 1929.
I am wondering if my info is correct and as to how many brooks steam cars are still in existence today. I belief that the stock certificate I have is possibly the only known survieving example. I have been a collecter of cars (no steamers) and a collector of stock certificates for many years and this is the first I have heard of brooks steam motor cars.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have internet access as I am using a computer down at the local library here in Airdrie Alberta Canada and usually check my emails about once a week or so.</HTML>

Re: brooks stock certificate
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2001 06:09AM

<HTML>Hi Lance,
I may be able to help you with your request for information on Brooks Steam Cars, I have two of these cars, and also a copy of one of the share certificates, and a great deal of other info, I believe there are about six complete cars surviving as far as it is known, I also have info as to were they all are, I think about 140 or so cars were built from 1924 to 1927 when the company stopped trading, please get in touch, and we can exchange further information, regards, jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Lance Thomas (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2001 04:47PM

<HTML>Hello Jeff, and thanks for the reply.
As mentioned earlier, I have very limited access right now so replies will take time. How very interesting that you should have two brooks cars considering the very limited number produced in North America.
Yes, I would be interested in knowing where the other brooks steam cars
currently are.

About the stock certificate that I have, It appears to have been printed in Canada and is dated from 1927. The colour is an orange\yellow and the vignette (artwork) is of a lady standing near a horn of plenty. I think it is dated in late 1927 and has a serial number in the thirteen thousand range (not having the share certificate with me here).

It is signed by the company president, O.J. BROOKS.

I think the company and founder were possibly Canadian but production was just across the U.S. border in Buffalo N.Y.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Like I said, I have found very little on the internet aboout Brooks Steam Motor Cars.

I have found a couple of nice articules written by a person whose father had owned a couple of the brooks cars. These articules were published back in the early 1970`s in a magazine sponsered by the Cravin (cigerettes) foundation.
At one point the cravin foundation had started a museum with library which I believe was somewhere in eastern Canada.

The foundation and museum where liquidated when funding from Cravin ceased in 1978\79.

One articule tells of forgetting to open the valve after negotiating a steep hill and how pressure had pinned the pressure gauge past the end and of the large bang the was heard. The author wonders as to how they are still around to tell about it as the explosion and noise from the escaping high pressure steam was deafing.

The articule also mentions that the body was made out of wood with a leather like covering. All in all very interesting reading.

Again Jeff, Thank you for your reply and I hope to hear from you again.

Lance..............</HTML>

Posted by: coburn benson (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2001 11:21PM

<HTML>The body seems to be ordinary 20's construction BUT coverd w/fabrick [like a airplane OR Bentley or Stutz of that period ,,truly a light body design ,Renolds Museum in Canada has one too I think,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2001 11:43PM

<HTML>Hi Lance,
The certificte that you have sounds the same as the one that I have, mine is dated April 1926 and is numbered 5687 and is for 15 shares, and is signed by O.J.Brooks and the secretary C. N. Hall, as far as I know all the cars were made in Stratford Ontario, athough there was an attempt to start a second plant in Buffalo by Oland Brooks but the company collapsed before this got of the ground,
I also have a copy of the story of the Brooks being bought by John Kitchen's father and their adventures in it, and I to have forgotten to open the water bypass, but in my case I was warned that something was wrong, by sudden uncontrolled acceleration as the water slopped over into the superheater, so I was able to correct the problem without any drama,
There are pictures of my Brooks on John Woodson's web site at... www.stanleysteamers.com if you have not visited this site you should as it is full of steam car info, It is very late here 1-30 AM and we are off on a break for a few days tomorrow, as soon as I get back I will look out some more info, all the best, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Lance thomas (IP Logged)
Date: December 14, 2001 06:17PM

<HTML>Ben, thanks for the tip on the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskewin Alberta Canada. I have had the pleasure of vising the museum several times but not in recent years. I live about 200 miles south of the museum so I think a road trip is in order. One of the more fascinating aspects of touring the site is in actually meeting Stan Reynolds and touring the "junkyard" that Stan still owns. There are still some 600 vehicles dating to (and prior to) the horse and buggy era. An astounding variety of early autos still sit in a field adjacent to Stans tractor sales location. Of the 600 or so cars\trucks that sit there, very few are of the vintage Ford\Chevy variety as these popular makes were picked out of the yard years ago. A very small percentage of these vehicles would be of the 1950 or newer model year.
Most of the yard is comprised of 1920's and 30's vintage and rare models.

Again, thanks for the tip, I did not realize that the Reynolds Museum held an example.

Lance.....</HTML>

Posted by: Lance thomas (IP Logged)
Date: December 14, 2001 08:27PM

<HTML>Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. It would seem that our two examples of the stock certificates are approximately 16 months apart with yours numbered just under 6000 and mine numbered at just over 13000, with a spread of app. 7000 certificates being issued within an 18 month period.

As I stated in the previous thread, I have a keen interest in the collecting of old stock certificates (besides cars) with my collection reaching around 1500 peices, many are one of a kind and many have been framed as they adorn the walls of my home. Here in North America there is a strong interest\following of people who collect "script". Many of these stock certificates are quite valuable, with those related to the early auto industry being the most highly sought after and therefor, the most valuable.

I would not hesitate to say that you have in your collection a prime example of one of the most sought after and rare examples of a legal\financial document(as far as a collectors stand point in concerned.)
Not only is it auto related, it contains the magic word "Steam".

It would be very interesting to find out how many more are out there.

I have some good connections in the U.S., where regular auctions of old stock certificates are regularly held. I think I'm going to query some of the more knowledgable collectors stateside just to see what becomes of it.
There were obviously more than 13,000 certificates issued in total before the company folded in late 1927.

(Un)fortunatly it was a common practice to incincerate or destroy the share certificates once the purchaser had cashed in their shares for their full cash value. (This being more true of older examples as there are many stocks that still exist from the 1950's up to when they were made obsolete by the tradeing by electronic means (computer trading) in the late 1980's)

Your certificate is probably one that was never "canceled" or cashed in by its bearer hence it still exists.

If I haven't bored you to death already please read on...

As the value of a companies share rose with the daily stock market many shares would be issued, with each new share that was issued, a certifcate would be issued for the number of shares in that particular company (mine is for ten shares of Brooks Steam Motors).

Also as a result of the rising of the stock market share price for that company, many shares would be cashed in and a handsome profit was realized by the bearer (in theory).

99% of all paper stocks certificates were generally cashed in as soon as the bearer saw that a profit could be made (buy low sell high). This would generally be well within 90 days of issue. There were however, a small percentage of PEOPLE who would by a few shares here and a few shares there and would sit on them for ever hoping that by their age of retirment, there ship would come in. More often than not, it didn't. Truly the bulk of all
trading on the stock market is done by huge multi-nationals looking to diversify their assest. Corporations like Rueben-Rose and Merril Lynch buy hundreds of thousands of shares in companies like Ford and General Motors (for example) every day, only to sell them a week later for a profit.
The other 1% were those that were isussed to your average mom and dad that thought they might try to make a buck in the long haul.

What all this means is that these share certificates generally had a very short existance. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules hence the 2 that you and I have. I would imagine that there are others out there
in the hands of collectors or in the attics of the unknowing. But who knows.

For now we know of two.

An interesting side note is that, generally these stock certificates where printed by only a handful of printers. American Bank Note Corporation is one. As the name implies, they are the people that manufactered banknotes, i.e. - Money. Generally all stock certificates printed by them are of the same paper that an American $10 bill is made of. They also use the same high quality ink for stock certificates as that of money. One most reaize that when you purchased 10 shares of xyz company what you got in return was a certificate that represented a certain cash value of that company, hence being a legal document, they were made to the extreme high quality standards as money.

There was also a Canadian equivilant of the American Bank Note Company and indeed many countries have the facilities for printing there own form of banknotes.

I think if you look closely at your brooks steam motor certificate you should find somewhere (usually near the vignette or engraving or near the bottom of the certificate) that it bears the printers name in fine script.

Well, I suppose I am really not totally on topic and I've allowed myself to ramble on long enough so I had better cut it short here.

Jeff, Could I inquire as to how you came across this certificate and did you get it for a fair price. I found the one I have at a Seattle USA yard sale for the equivilant of about $10 US dollars.

I have seen other examples of auto related stock certificates being auctioned off for well in excess of $1000 US for very unique or rare examples. Generally an early Peerless or Ford certificate can fetch around $100 US (for early examples). The more common studebaker or General motors certificates dated in the 1960's or 70's trade for $5 to $10 US.

I have not recently seen any steam certificates traded but the more common steam certificates can fetch $250 -$500 US when they do pop up. I hope your example is proudly framed on your wall as I do think it is one of the more rare versions.

Cheerio,

Lance.....</HTML>

Date: December 15, 2001 02:04AM

<HTML>Best to check before traveling the distance as my info is 10 or more years old ,,,cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: December 17, 2001 10:18PM

<HTML>When I was in Reno in 1999 there was a 1924 Brooks steam car at the National Auto museum. It appeared to have quite a few Stanley pieces under the bonnet ie filter, water level controller, check valve. Was this use of Stanley parts typical of the Brooks vehicles or just done on this one car to get it running?
Any articles or books ever published on the Brooks vehicles?
Thanks in advance
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Date: December 18, 2001 02:39AM

<HTML>I believe they used a 20 '' boiler ,,,the engine was all Brooks in a nice square oil tight case,,,the con rod was not at all like Stanley,,,,Only one I have personally viewd was at a auction in up-state NY,,,,complete but body all apart,,as I recall,,,,about april,1987 Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: December 22, 2001 09:33AM

<HTML>Hi Lance,
Thanks for all the info on share certificates, I have examined mine carefully and there is a mark in the bottom left hand corner, the letters K & B are surrounded by other words which are so small I cant see what it says, my son got this certificate for me when he was travelling in Canada, I have a feeling that it may be a very good copy! if you were able to email me direct I could send you a picture of my certificate, I also forgot to ask you where you got the info about the number of cars built, as it seems to vary depending on who you speak to, I have heard from your figure of 67 to 186 quoted in one book, I am always looking for more info on these cars, and would love to find any early info relating directly to one of my cars, regards, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Don Blossom (IP Logged)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:01AM

<HTML>To whom it may concern: I'm not sure which one of you gentelmen to ask about stock certificates so I will offer this question to whom ever is knowledgeable about it. I inherrited a couple of stock certificates from my Grand father ,for Baker Steam Engine Stock. It came with a little portfolio telling the wonders of the engine ,how it worked ,and testements from prominent persons of the day,extolling its virtues. Many of them were Stanley Steam cars that had been converted. They are dated Aug 13 1918. Incorperated under the laws of Arizona. it was listed as "The Baker Steam Motor Carand Manufacturing Company" One was for a thousand shares and ,a second one for 750 shares was dated 1920. There is another post card looking afair that dated april,7th,1919. It notifys him that they have recieved his aplication for stock, with a serial # and that he has agreed to buy 1500 shares for 5 cents a share for $37.50 . A delivery date etc. etc. and states the address as being a po box in Pueblo Co. It comes with a booklet titled " The Iron Hand That Rules the Industrial Destiny of the Universe is Steam " The reciepts, certificates ,and jacket are all in good condition in the original envelope. I was wondering how to find a value for it ,and posibly some more information about the cars and engines. I find it a fascinating piece of Americana. If anyone is interested,or knowledgeable on the matter please contact me . Thank you . Sincerely Don Blossom .</HTML>

Re: brooks in Oshawa and Toronto
Posted by: Grant Lubben (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2002 02:21AM

<HTML>On the subject of the Brooks Steamer. There was one of these cars on display 10 or 15 years ago in the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa Ontartio. I don't know if it is still there or not. It was jacked up on one side and had mirrors underneath to show the engine and working parts. It looked similar in design to the Stanley. The body was a big sedan, dark blue with black fenders. It resembled a typical 1920's sedan like a Buick or Studebaker but it was covered in a leather like fabric with a dull or semi gloss finish. This type of construction was pioneered and patented by Weyman, it was actually a good system for hard use as it was simple light and free from squeaks and rattles. The body was made with a flexible wooden framework covered in waterproof material with cotton padding inside.

I knew an old time motorcycle mechanic who worked in Toronto from 1922 to 1928. He told me at that time there was a fleet of Brooks taxicabs operating in Toronto.</HTML>

Re: baker stock certificate
Posted by: Lance (IP Logged)
Date: March 27, 2002 08:50PM

<HTML>Hi, I may be able to help you find out a little bit more about your baker stock certificate.

If you care to email me at moefuzz@hotmail.com with a good description (color, serial number, date etc.) I can look it up in my freinds auto\stock related book.</HTML>

Posted by: Lance (IP Logged)
Date: March 27, 2002 09:17PM

<HTML>Hi Jeff,

I'm quite limited as to computer access, hence the time in replying to your note.

If you wish, you can email me at .... moefuzz@hotmail.com

regarding where I got info on the # of brooks cars, I read a story in a magazine (now extinct) that was sponsered by the cravin foundation here in Canada. I believe the magazine was called "Antique Autos Canada" or something similiar. It was published from app. 1974 to 1979 and sold by subsription only. (my memory serves me so badly!) I will see if I can root around in the boxes in the attic to see if I still have a copy. At one time I had every issue and they were very good reading.

A friend of mine in New York has aquired a book that is all about automotive stock certificates with their values, I have yet to see this book but was told that it is fair sized and quite good for a first edition. I will hopefully be aquiring my own copy soon and at that time I will be able to pass along to you a little more info on the brooks steam car stock that you and I both own. What little I have found out is that, yes there are more of these out their and they were (as with most stock certificates) issued in a variety of different colors and denominations.

Jeff, this email account I am using seems to delete even my unread mail every 7 days - so if you do email a picture and information, please resend it in a week or two as I am using the local library's computer to access email and can not always get down here as often as I'd like.

Thanks, Lance</HTML>

Date: March 27, 2002 11:02PM

<HTML>Hi Lance,
Thanks for the reply, I will email you direct in about a weeks time, and repeat the mail about one week after that, hopefully you will be able to pick the mail up OK, I will attach a picture of my stock certificate, I would be very interested in hearing more about the article in that magazine, I have a feeling that this is the magazine that ran a story called "Living with a Brooks" I think written by a Brooks owners son, but I may be wrong, my Email address is.. jeff.pauline@tesco.net hope you get the mail, all the best, Jeff.</HTML>

Re:Old Auto Stock Certifcates &amp; other info
Posted by: Steve Rippon (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2002 04:31AM

<HTML>Hi Lance and others -

I am a very avid collector of American auto related stock certifcates. I have several of the Brooks Certificates in my collection (both the common and the preferred issues) as well some of the Baker's and a Doble Steam cert. I find it interesting whenever I come across a certificate and it has associated paer (e.g, cover letter, envelope, advertising and promotional matertial, etc.).

I am always looking for new certificate + meeting up with others with the same interests.

The book on Auto stock certificates that Lance mentioned is American Automotive Stock Certificates by Lawrence Falater published in 1997. You can probably order a copy from Larry (1-888-FALATER).

The best book I've found for reseaching the early autos is the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 by Krause Publishing. It's 1612 pages packed with info. There is a small paragraph in this book on the Brooks. I have a complete collection of Automobile Quarterllys and I remember finding a comprehensive write on the Brooks in one of the issues. I'll see if I can locate the issue.

I have a kind of crude web page set up with some of the auto certificates in my collection displayed (http://members.aol.com/SRRippon/index.html). If anyone has any early certificates for trade or sale....please let me know.

Regards,
Steve</HTML>

Posted by: Bill wright (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2005 09:08PM

<HTML>Have 2 old Brooks stock certificates and would be willing to sell</HTML>

Posted by: ted rowcliffe (IP Logged)
Date: January 28, 2006 04:22PM

<HTML>I have two Brooks Steam Motors stock certificates both dated Jan. 2, 1925.

One is black and white and is for ten preference shares at a value of $10 each.

The other is orange and black for 15 shares without nominal or par value.
They belonged to my EX-wife's grandfather.

Will sell

Ted
Duncan
Vancouver Island, BC</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.