SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley 20 H.P. Slide Valve Width
Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: February 06, 2002 10:57PM

<HTML>In rebuilding my 1913 Stanley 20 H.P. Engine. I found one of the slide valves had been broken and I have a pair of slide valves out of a 1919 Stanley 735 Stanley that I can use. The 735 set has a O.390 inch wider over all cut off out side face width than does the 1913 slide valves. Their internal cutoff widths are identical. The ports of both engine cylinder castings measure up identical. The crankshaft ecentrics could be different. Tough to measure. The wider 735 faces would give a later steam admission. The 735 exhaust port is full open before steam admission even starts. On the 1913 slide valve, steam admission starts to occur about the same time the exhaust port starts to open. On the 735 slide valve, I would have more slide valve face surface to better support the steam pressure weight. Can I install the 735 valves into the 1913 engine without any problems?</HTML>

Re: Stanley 20 H.P. Slide Valve Width
Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2002 01:04PM

<HTML>Pat if what you are saying is the overall length of the 735 valve is longer from port face to port face by .390 This is the edge the steam is admitted to the cylinder. Them most likely if you use this valve the port will never open or not very much, and the engine will never run or have extremely short cutoff. If the over all travel is the same then the eccentric is at a different angle. If the engine is on the work bench it is easy enough to install the valve and turn the engine over and check how much the valve port opens and at what angle in relation to top dead center. When not linked up the valve should open just before top dead center. I am not familiar with a Stanley, as I have never had mine apart but in a five-inch stroke 12 to 15 degrees before top dead should be about right. With an eccentric set at 35 to 37 degrees. The engine would have a cutoff some where around 60 to 65 percent of piston travel not linked up with a lead of 12 to 15 degrees.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2002 03:01AM

<HTML>Thank you for your answer. I have since talked with Art Hart and his fix is to use the Model 735 eccentrics with the 735 slide valves too. Since I am doing a serious rebuild here, I am going to change out the eccentrics and drive gear too.</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2002 09:06AM

<HTML>Pat do you know the eccentric angle on the 735 and valve travle
Rolly</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.