SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam bike
Posted by: Alex (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2003 11:10AM

<HTML>hello all,
Im a 17 year old living in Victoria Australia. I have always wished to build a steam bike as a project to "hone" my skills before i go on to bigger and better things. i have a love for steam vehicles and wish to build my own steam car one day. I have seen the steam bike posted on this website and other versions all around the world. No one yet can tell me what engine they have used/made and specifications such as boiler designs. I have made many smaller steam engines to great success in the past.
i would like it if anyone could tell me ANY info on small steam powered vehicles they have built or seen before. What is a good engine that i can convert easily to steam for my little project and what is the best design of boiler for such a project?Ii would ultimately like to travell at 15 miles per hour or more if possible.
Any info is greatly appreciated as i have not had much interest in my project in the past and i very mush want to show my friends the true wonders of steam...

thankyou very much, alex.</HTML>

Re: Steam bike
Posted by: Todd Hughes (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2003 01:28PM

<HTML>You might try looking at Lindsay Books. There is a gentleman who has done a similar thing..

[www.lindsaybks.com]

I know very little about steam engines and such, but Lindsay's article "lit the fire" so to speak...</HTML>

Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2003 01:39PM

<HTML>Alex--

There is a fellow here in the US named Tony Gryzb who
has built quite a nice bike of the type you mention. I don't
know his email address, but him and his bike are pictured
on the SACA website which is www.steamautomobile.com
I talked with him some time ago via email, and sent me a very
informative video of the development and build of his bike.
Good luck with your project--keep at it-you'll have a
lifetime of fun.....

Cheers---Chuk Williams</HTML>

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2003 07:32PM

<HTML>Alex,

Check out [www.firedragon.com] .

Karl Peterson is kind enough to have a site with much information about the construction of steam powered conveyances. There is also a propane purner design on his page that could be substituted for the burner described on the Educator page.

The boiler and engine ideas that are used in the construction of the educator may be able to be fited onto a motorcycle or made smaller to fit.

I have not made this design or any for that matter, so I can't proclaim any experiances with the system.

However you may even wish to just make a buggy as described in the Educator design. There is a lot of room for your own body design and sure would make one neet firewood retriever!

As long as you retain your motivation and dedication, I am sure that you shall succeed and have something that you can be proud of.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Posted by: Alex (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2003 10:35AM

<HTML>Thankyou all for you responses,
i will look further into them and anything else i can find, its a dream of mine i will definately fulfill as i have had the disire and motivation for many years now, i appreciate your help and if anyone else has something to add, please feel free to contact me,
Chuck, do you still have the tape and is there any way i could see it i would love to see such a thing.
Thanks again, Alex.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2003 12:23PM

<HTML>Hi Alex,
The Late David Sarlin designed a steam bicycle called the Vesuvious. I believe that casting sets are available from [www.colespowermodels.com] {JW sez "use the arrow brackets to make it Hot"}. I have one of his engines and some of his original drawings and notes. I'll email you some photos and you can see if this is what you are looking for. You may also look at Rogers contraption made from an old minibike elsewhere on this site. It looks funky but goes fast enough to scare you.

Good Luck,
Dick</HTML>

Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2003 01:41PM

Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2003 02:00PM

<HTML>Alex--

Unfortunately, I don't have the tape--I loaned it to a friend
and haven't gotten it back yet--it's NTSC format-so you'd have to have it converted to PAL. If anyone
could get Tony's email address for you-I'm sure he'd be happy to
send you a copy. If you can't get one from Tony-get back to me and I'll
chase down my copy....Roger Ulsky has built and drives a steam Moped
all over Florida--his address is; ulsky@skagit.ctc.edu I'm sure he'd
be happy to give you some good ideas......

Cheers---Chuk</HTML>

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2003 02:14PM

<HTML>Alex,

One option for an engine is at

[home.earthlink.net]

They make and sell 1 horsepower and 3 horsepower engines and now a 20 horsepower engine.

I would think that one of the 3 horsepower engines would be perfect for a fun little motorcycle.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Posted by: Stanleyguy101 (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2010 12:44AM

I know this is sort of old now, but you never know.

Hello Alex,

I recently acquired a steam bicycle built to plans still available on SACA website. It was designed by Richard Smith and it's boiler is capable of supplying the bike's stuart sirius engine with plenty of steam and is designed in the form I have it too go 17mph on the flat and of course down hill with any steam vehicle is sky;s the limit. The drive is a simple spindle sitting on the rear wheel and I have the 1.5 in. size. If your area is flat you could build the 2.5 in. size and be capable of 25 mph.

Hopefully your bike has turned out well if you've built it already. Good Luck building a car, if you ever do that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.