SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Doble Gauge
Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2003 10:15AM

<HTML>Interesting Item on E-Bay

[cgi.ebay.com];

Re: Doble Gauge
Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2003 11:57AM

<HTML>Check out the first bidder.

[www.platinumclassics.com];

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2003 03:53PM

<HTML>Hey Rolly!
I don't get the first bidder post, if Jim Crank were back from Death Valley and the pipe organ project he would be bidding on the Doble item and know what car model it came from. A historic piece.
Will be good to see you in a few weeks at our SACA open steamcar meet, its been a long time(for me).
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: John Winter (IP Logged)
Date: May 12, 2003 05:14AM

<HTML>To Jim Crank. Very courious about your Death Valley Pipe Organ project.
The pipe organ is my second big interest after steam. As this is off topic try my Email if you wish. JOHN</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2003 02:13PM

<HTML>John,
Went to Scotty's Castle to record the 3/15 Welte organ, with Tom Hazleton at the the console.
Nice sound; but the world's absolutely stupidest stop list I ever saw on what is proported to be a theater organ. Two tremulants, Main and Solo, when it needs five, not one coupler, no 16' reeds on the Great, and no 16' reed at all in the Pedal, nor a 16' string, only a Tibia, Bourdon and Wood Diaphone.
A rebuild and re-spec for the console, and a new UniFlex relay with remote capture combination, 16' Tuba and 16' string in the Pedal and more separate tremulants would turn it into a very nice residence theater organ.
Still, Tom certainly got the best out of it. Recording was for a CD that they want to sell in the gift shop.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: John Winter (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2003 03:30AM

<HTML>Thanks Jim for the info. I have never heard of that brand of pipe organ but as a residence organ a 16' reed I think would be hard to take on the Great & Pedal. Also big heavy tongues below 8' are kind of hard to keep in tune as they trend to bash the shallot back then up goes the spring and the pitch. I have found that on a low budget Residence Organs the presets and couplers were the first thing eliminated as most home players were not capable of setting them up and useing them but Tom Hazleton would be at a loss without them perhaps.
Thanks for the reply.
John</HTML>

Posted by: David K Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2003 11:21AM

<HTML>Does any one know what pressure or temperature ranges the gauge cluster was designed for?</HTML>

Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2003 01:27PM

<HTML>David--

I emailed the guy about the cluster and he replied-"This gauge goes to 75 PSI and 175 height in feet"---whatever that means!!! So it must
contain an altimeter??
Anyway the auction ended---we're all saved!!

Cheers--Chuk</HTML>

Date: May 15, 2003 02:43PM

<HTML>Chuk,
175 feet of water column is 75psi as one foot of water column is .433psi.
Good to see your car in the SACA periodical, George</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2003 11:25PM

<HTML>Proud new owner of a "Doble" Gauge.
So it looks like I am the new owner of a steam automobile dash gauge bezel. The very rare fact that no one caught about this car is that it was 17 stories tall! Steam cars of the era were rarely over eight feet tall. Some steam tractors as used on the praries topped 14 feet. To find a gauge cluster in this condition is truely remarkable. These are common gauges for hot water heating systems in buildings. That's why it also registers 75 feet. I'm sure the missing temperature gauge from this cluster also had the automatic 65 degree nite time setback! All this and for only five bucks two bits!

Chagrined,
Dick Vennerbeck

ps. Chef Chu's is much better than Crow, Thanks JC</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: May 16, 2003 01:09PM

<HTML>Well, maybe it's from the old Doble factory on Harrison street in SF. A little short of 75 feet, but who knows.</HTML>

Date: May 16, 2003 03:01PM

<HTML>Dick,
Guess anytime you can buy 25 feet of anything per buck is a good deal!!
congratulations. George ;o)</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2003 08:41AM

<HTML>Congratulations, Dick!

But wait, maybe Doble was experimenting with super-low pressure for steam cars -- decades ahead of Lee Nelson Hall, Jr! The temperature setback feature would help avoid melted plastic (Bakelite?) cylinders in the Top-Secret low-cost Doble "G", developed during Doble's mysterious "lost years" ... Proof at last! I smell a conspiracy/coverup ... was Doble working on secret super-weapons with Nikola Tesla? What REALLY powered those silent, powerful flying saucers sighted just a few years later? Coincidence? I think not!

:)

Peter</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.