SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Mower
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2003 09:22PM

<HTML>Does anyone out there have any paper or catalogue on the COLDWELL Steam lawn mower,,circa 1880--1895,, p/s ,, I found the Serpollet throttle/safty thingie,,,now what was I supposed to do with it??? Cheers Ben</HTML>

Re: Steam Mower
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2003 11:16PM

<HTML>Coburn,
Another "steam thingie"?? So good to see you with the Vanderbilt at the SACA meet. Are you bringing us back to steam lawnmowers, Allan B. would not appreciate!! If it were a ride-on could be entered in the August 1/8th mile time trials. Nice time, the Lamont ran, not sleeping in my car tonight!
Best, tired George</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2003 12:36PM

<HTML>Ben,
Look in John Bentley's "Old Time Steam Cars" on page 75. There is a picture of the Coldwell Steam Lawn Mower.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: jim reed (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2003 01:25AM

<HTML>Check out Floyd Clymer's book Album of Historical Steam Traction Engines. Pictures of the Coldwell mower are on page 50 and 152. Regards, Jim reed</HTML>

Posted by: James Merrick (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2003 07:55PM

<HTML>Coldwell used a 3 1/8 x 4" Mason engine in their steam-powered lawn mowers. The 1902 Mason Catalog ("The Mason Automobile Engine and Automobile Appliances") has a testimonial letter from Coldwell's Lawn Mower Co., Newburgh, NY, on pp.38-39.

Thomas and Willam H. Coldwell were issued two U.S. Patents: #669,437 (filed 11/6/1900: granted 3/5/1901), and #707,304 (filed 3/7/1902; granted 8/19/1902). The second patent seems to be the one that they actually produced.

You might want to contact James B. Ricci of the Reel Lawn Mower History and Restoration Project out in Haydenville, Mass. He was looking for info on Coldwell steam mowers a while back (he provided the info above) and he may have come up with some more info. He has a website at: www.crocker.com/~jricci/.

Let us know what you find out - I have to go mow my lawn.

Jim</HTML>

Posted by: peter (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2008 02:19PM

Hello Ben, Peter from Ashby. Your Putnam shaper is resting comfortably next to my Bath grinder.

Anyways, as for Coldwell, they have one down at the Kinzer, rough and tumble museum near Lancaster. This is my first post here .... I dont see any photo hosting ..... hmmm ...

ahh, I was able to google up a pic on their site:

[www.roughandtumble.org]

BTW, I found you, this thread and this forum because I have a passing interesting in trying to find a complete Coldwell steam mower....figure the odds?

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2008 05:45PM

Hi all,,,I still have that Serpollett safty valve,,,Will trade for Stanley throttl or safty,,,I post incorrectly here to reward the guys for keeping this most valuable forum alive and well,,,,Cheers Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.