SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1896 Whitney
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2003 09:05AM

<HTML>Hi All,
I thought you may be interested in the information about this car which is coming up for auction soon, I have covered quite a few miles in this little car, which runs very well, I have pasted the info below, Jeff.

BONHAMS : 1896 Whitney Steam Runabout : SALE AUCTION Beaulieu 13 Sept 2003

1896 Whitney Two-Cylinder Steam Runabout

Registration no. PM 8970 V.C.C. Dating Certificate 1541

Estimate £40,000 - 50,000

Any one of ordinary intelligence can be instructed to operate one in one day.

George Eli Whitney (1862-1963) was a remarkable man; he lived to be 101, had a keen nose for business and had engineering in his blood, coming from a family of engineers, an uncle, Amos Whitney, being a founder of Pratt & Whitney. Around 1887 William Mason commissioned Whitney to design a small engine for carriage use. Widely known as the Mason engine, Whitney's $200 design was the first production engine in the United States automotive industry. Whitney's design was either used or copied by numerous horseless carriage makers, the Stanley Brothers and Locomobile to name two, becoming the most popular power plant for American steam automobiles for the next decade.

Whitney decided to build his own steam carriage in 1896, The Horseless Age publishing an account. Charles Gibson came forward, a jeweller from New York, keen to build his own design in Whitney's workshops. He soon abandoned his ideas, and, recognising Whitney's superior design, wished to purchase it. Quoting the astonishingly high price of $2500, the cash was duly produced the next day. Gibson then embarked on a huge publicity tour, arriving in New Jersey, claiming the car was his own design. The car was dismantled, drawings made and patents filed covering the entire carriage. Whitney prosecuted and won, losing his wife in the process to Gibson's lawyer. Undeterred, and although very much in the marine business, Whitney began work on an improved second and third steam carriage, in 1897 forming a partnership with a prominent Boston attorney, George B. Upham, to manufacture and sell Whitney steam vehicles, 60/40 shares. Whitney got on with his work while Upham looked after their patents, the company promoting its new-found business, applying for over 300 patents. As Whitney's fame spread, so he was visited by Duryea, Ransom E. Olds, the Stanley brothers, Pope, Knox, Walker and Barber, many pointers on design given to the Stanleys.who later infringed Whitney's patents, two infringement suits in favour of Whitney following.

Here is an important early Brighton car that was advanced for its day, built by an engineer who understood the lightweight simplicities of construction and the ease with which his product should be used. Whisper quiet in running, all controls, excepting the braking via the footbrake, are done via the tiller, the steering, speed, forward and reverse all controlled via one hand twisting, swinging, raising or lowering the tiller, all working like clockwork. The carriage has 30" front and 32" rear wheels with pneumatic tyres, a tubular steel frame, braced along both sides, chain and sprocket drive, a single contracting brake, the horizontal engine with double acting 4" X 2" and piston valve gear supplied by 14" firetube boiler suspended astride the fuel and water tanks astern of the boiler and within the box of the carriage. Steering is pivoted at the hubs, the steering gear ingeniously fully compensated for all inequalities of the road, only the carriage itself being sprung.

Imported in the 1960s and V.C.C. dated 1896, this car started the Brighton Run last year as car number 3, one of the very oldest Victorians in the event, on pneumatic tyres. Immaculately presented and owned for the last ten years, with eight successful runs to Brighton, an entry for this years Brighton has been accepted. Together with a very interesting history file of the man, a new burner, new boiler certificate, Swansea V5, MoT and road licence, the vendor would be willing to give advice and his happy experiences on the running of this important early car to the successful new owner.</HTML>

Re: 1896 Whitney
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: September 05, 2003 12:09PM

<HTML>Jeff, thanks for the info on this interesting piece of automobile history. As I have noted before on this forum, I met George Whitney in the 50's when he came to our home to see the 1860's Roper Motorcycle that graced our living room. I was 12 or 13, he was in his 90's. I still hope to find the tape recording I did of his visit. I also visited him at his home in New Hampshire and saw his steam launch and engines. I believe he also is credited with the invention of the "coaster" brake for bicycles.

I selfishly hope that the Whitney car can somehow make it back to the states and can feature in a greater Boston based museum / tribute to New England's and America's automotive/motorcycle pioneers Roper, Whitney, the Stanley Twins, the Duryea's, the Marsh brothers, and Charles Metz, to name a few. The centennial of the automobile in America came and went and was quickly co-opted by Detroit. Harley Davidson just celebrated its 100th in Milwaukee, last week, far from Brockton, Waltham, and Springfield, Massachusetts, the respective homes of the older Marsh, Metz(Orient), M&M (Mash & Metz) and Indian marques. Perhaps the 125th can tell a different and more historically correct story. I HAVE A DREAM TODAY!

Now off to find the £40,000 - 50,000!!
Any help out there????</HTML>

Date: September 13, 2003 10:06PM

<HTML>Hi All,
Just a note to let you know that the Whitney sold for it's agreed reserve today at the Beaulieu Autojumble where Bonhams were holding their Auction, I understand that it will be going to europe. Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Brian Kenway (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2003 10:00AM

<HTML>Hi Jeff

You may be interested to know my son and I have purchased the 1896 Whitney.

My son, Ricky, is the steam man, he owns a 1901 (sounds modern compared to the Whitney!) John Fowler B5 Road Locomotive.

We are steaming it up this Saturday. We are trying to obtain the previous owner's telephone number and should have it today. We too live in Hampshire about 30 miles from Mike.

Regards

Brian K.</HTML>

Date: September 17, 2003 06:27PM

<HTML>Hi All,
Good new!!!! just found out that the Whitney is only 20 miles from me, and is staying in the UK. Jeff.</HTML>

<b>Re: 1896 Whitney</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: September 17, 2003 09:51PM

<HTML>Jeff- I am glad to hear that you will not lose a toy, but will gain a couple of veteran steamers to tinker with ..... :-)

My compliments to you on yet another fine issue of *The Steam Car* publication.

JW

</HTML>

Date: September 18, 2003 09:28AM

<HTML>Hi John,
Thanks for the compliment. The new issue is at the printers so will be with you all soon.
Don't forget all you steamers on that side of the water, I like to include something about steaming in the States each issue, so any pictures and write-ups always welcome, all the best, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Sandra (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2003 10:53PM

<HTML>I have been looking for this car since the late 60's...for the wrong reason. James Melton had the car in his Autorama in FL in the 50's and identified it as an Ofeldt Steamer. Ernest Ofeldt was my great grandfather. He made probably 4 steam cars around the turn of the century. We now know that the car is a Whitney with an Ofeldt engine. Any of you gentlemen know if an Ofeldt steam car is still around? Sandra</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.