SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
10 hp Stanley crank throws
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2003 02:30AM

<HTML>Our 1914 Stanley 606 is in need of a pair of crank throws made from modern steel and their main journals need to be turned to fit modern bearings. Who is making them? The old Stanley crank throws break their crank pins off at the web. The 10 hp crank throws also have been splitting out at the keyways. I also need a pair of two piece connecting rods for the same. Dewey Johnson did make both in the past but he has since changed jobs and he no longer has the program to make them by CNC. Rob Reilly from Colorado also needs a pair of crank throws as his 1913 Stanley 10 hp is broke down now too. Sincerely, Pat Farrell</HTML>

Re: 10 hp Stanley crank throws
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2003 12:37PM

<HTML>Pat,
I would stongly urge you to contact Michael Hope at Brineton Engineering in England.
[www.brineton-eng.co.uk]

Michael made the ten Doble roller bearing crankshafts for me and they were simply perfect. Between the two of you, the weak Stanley crankshafts can be redesigned for much better strength. They do CNC machining, hardening and grinding. Michael can also do the connecting rods and redesign them for much better strength and larger bearing races. You would have to send him a connecting rod and a crankshaft for him to examine.
In fact, why don't all you 10 hp Stanley owners get together and have a run of crankshafts made and eliminate the breakage problem.
I cannot recommend Michael and Brineton Engineering too highly.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2003 03:22PM

<HTML>Jim,
Before everyone goes off and tries to reinvent the wheel the 10hp Stanley cranks and rods have already been redesigned and produced. I know about the design work because I assisted my father in doing the preliminary design. Dewey Johnson took the work we did and had someone do the final engineering drawings and they made several "kits" that consisted of new two piece rods and crank throws. There are several cars being actively toured that have been retrofitted. All of the parts that were made in the first run have been sold.

If anyone is interested in the improved parts for the 10hp engines then they should contact Dewey Johnson. If someone needs to know how to contact him send me an email off line and I will get you in contact with him.

Alan</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2003 01:41PM

<HTML>Alan,
This kind of information should be a lot more publisized than it is.
Stuff like this seems to be kept a big secret until someone else has to do it all over again, then you hear that so and so did it ten years ago and why didn't the person needing the parts know about it. Like Stanley cylinder blocks, it seems that at least six people have produced them lately.
I wonder why it is not advertised a lot better in both the SACA journal and the Stanley Museum newsletter on a regular basis?
We all need a much better means of letting the steam car community know of good reproduced parts, before owners do the job all over again from lack of knowledge.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: October 02, 2003 03:05PM

<HTML>What about a directory towards those whom have produced reproduction parts for the old steam cars, compiled on either this site or the SACA site.
Then published in it's entirety in each SACA journal.

The problem is how do we go about finding out who has produced what, what was/is successful and what of it now.

What about a page dedicated to this issue in the SACA journal, with a request for any information anyone has on past, present and future reproduction projects.

I believe that I will write a little letter to Tom Elliott about this matter and see what comes of it.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2003 06:25PM

<HTML>Jim,
You make a very good point. I think part of the problem is that so many times someone needs a part and makes extras to help amortize the cost and once they are sold that is the end of production.

Another is the issue of quantity and price. Too many car owners balk at paying the price for the improved parts until they get in a situation where they must have them. In the case of 10hp Stanley engine they will break at some point in time but many owners will wait until they have a catastrophic failure before they fix the problem.

There are some publications nowadays where the word can be put out the steam car community especially the Stanley Museum and British Steam Car Club publications. That has not always been true in the past. The Stanley Museum Newsletter has started once a year listing of all of the vendors that they are able to identify that offer parts and services for steam cars. We need that type of information online also.

Alan</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2003 07:52PM

<HTML>Alan and Jim,

I am trying to start a list on this forum and the one at the SACA site.

They are under the title, "List of reproduction parts. Past, present and future." on the respective sites.

If you can add any information to said thread, it would be helpfull to all.

When there is a good amount of information added to the threads I will ask John Woodson(web master of this site) and Scott Finegan(web master for the SACA site) if they will add a page their respective sites just for this compiled information.

I hope my efforts will become of some use to you all.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2003 08:16PM

<HTML>Alan and Caleb,
Now you are talking!!
Such efforts as you propose are DEFINITELY badly needed and the sooner this gets done the better for all. Good for both of you to suggest a positive action on this.
The SACA and Stanley Museum publications come out so seldom that putting things in there, or trying to put them in, is probably a waste of time.
Then there is the matter of the editors cutting things out on their own whim.
Definitely put this stuff only on the web site, where anyone can see it on a daily basis and where it can be updated as often as needed.
Jim</HTML>

Date: October 03, 2003 02:12AM

<HTML>Thanks guys for coming up with the answers for the much needed steam car parts. Does any one know if John Goold in the U.K. makes 10 hp crank throws for the type 6 Stanley engine? I live in the State of Washington which is a half of a world away from him and I don't know that much about him. Pat Farrell</HTML>

<b>Re: A new page for sources/resources</b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2003 03:29AM

<HTML>Hey guys, I hear ya loud and clear. This site is YOUR site, ...you have already made this growing collection of pages into a highly useful resource for the steam engineering/hobby community through your contributions of knowledge through papers, posts and photo content.

Caleb- great idea to start a thread to accumulate repro parts info from all list users, and GREAT IDEA to copy/paste your schedule of 8 points to keep the data uniform. Hopefully we can all use this template to keep entries easy to browse.

Please copy/paste the template from Caleb's FIRST post under the thread *List Of Reproduction Parts...* then just fill in the blanks created.

I will harvest data from your thread and integrate it into a new page or section as an archive of sources and contacts for reproduced/re-engineered parts.

Thanks to Pat, Alan, Jim and Caleb for rolling these comments into a ball we can all toss around.

If we build it, will they come?

JW

</HTML>

Date: October 03, 2003 11:37AM

<HTML>Pat et al,
I will be in Hershey next week and will see what I can find out about sources for parts. I will be talking to some of the east steam car guys while I am there. It may be time to poll 10hp owners and see what kind of demand there is for engine parts.

John Goold was/is a source for many Stanley parts but I don't know what he has available currently. Unfortunately he does not have a website and I don't have one of his current catalogs. I will see if I can get his contact information while I am in Hershey.

Alan</HTML>

Date: October 03, 2003 02:01PM

<HTML>I just got off the phone with Dewey Johnson of Lemont, Illinois. He will make another limited run of 10 hp Stanley type 6 engine kits. The 10 h.p. kit consist of two piston rods, new improved cross heads, two piece connecting rods, modern steel crank throws, main bearings, and main bearing caps. He is only going to make a run, about limited to his orders and they will be available in the spring. So if you want to place your order, give him a call today at telephone number 630-257-5783 Drop me an e-mail for his e-mail address. Pat Farrell</HTML>

Re: A new page for sources/resources
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2003 06:04PM

<HTML>Why limit this to reproduction parts only ? Maybe there should be 2 sections so the information benefits scratch builders as well as those involved in restoration.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Gary Geyer (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2003 10:33PM

<HTML>Sounds like a great idea to me. We have all found parts and compentent people, but many times it takes years to discover them. I have had more than one machine shop promise to do work for me and discover months or years later they haven't started on the parts yet. If there are people specializing in Stanley 20 hp engines I would like to see them listed. I am sure there are people in the hobby that don't use a computer. If people know who they are, maybe they can post that information. Lets see what happens.
Gary Geyer</HTML>

Date: October 04, 2003 03:04AM

<HTML>JW,

Thanks for compiling my thread, that should streamline things a little. I hope that the template gets used, that would make it easier for all involved.

I agree with Gary, there are probably many people that recieve the SACA bulletin that do not use the computer. I have not gotten a reply from Tom Elliott as of yet, but I hope that he will be able to insert a request for information of re-production parts and new parts for old steam cars and new ones.

Peter,

I started another thread for a list of new parts for new machines.

I put the same template in the second post. Although, thinking about it, I am not sure if the first point in the list is still applicable to parts for new cars/machines.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Posted by: Bruce Waterworth (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2003 10:34PM

<HTML> Subject John Goold. His parts book lists upgrading 10 hp engines with cranks in EN24, Con rods in EN8, Cylinder blocks, hard chrome rods, etc etc. He makes many parts for 10 ,20 &30hp engines. He works with his sons, Justin & Grant. His phone # is 011 441 761 470 806. Dont forget the time difference and wake him up !!! Regards Bruce.</HTML>

Date: October 06, 2003 11:57PM

<HTML>Bruce, Thank you for the information. Pat Farrell</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.