SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Seen plan to build V- twin steam engine, from www. lightsteampower.com
Posted by: K.O.Prax (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2003 07:29PM

<HTML>Does anybody have any clue if the drawings, #19 for a V-twin engine, & #1 monotube boiler are good ones? May you built one, let me know how clear & the final result went. Thanks much K.O.Prax</HTML>

Re: Seen plan to build V- twin steam boiler, from www. lightsteampower.com
Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: October 18, 2003 02:06PM

<HTML>Greetings Everyone--Happy Halloween!!
I have a set of the drawings for the Monotube boiler, and
I'm not too impressed with the detail---there's a lot left to the
imagination.....the SAE papers on monotube generators have
provided me with more information and possibilities for construction
than the above-mentioned drawing.

There's my 2 cents worth.....

Cheers---Chuk</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2003 08:43AM

<HTML>Hi Chuk,

Seems to be characteristic of Light Steam Power plans. Just looked over their late 10 hp Stanley plans, imagination is the word! I guess the approach is to "get you started" with basic specs, and then "let the fun begin".

BTW, belated kudos on the steam dragster. Pretty hot stuff! :)

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2003 03:07PM

<HTML>Just ordered a set of 10 hp plans from them along with the steam pump and injector prints.Sounds like as much reverse engineering as the educator steamwagen .....alternative burner source for Wards that folded 3 years ago ....suspensions revisions that can use ATV/go-cart parts instead of the fabricated parts,etc....maybe four-wheel drive unit as well for anyone wanting to take this thing on hunting trips.Quick change fuel ability(solid fuel boiler with liquid fuel gun burner attachment) for hunters that forgot to check the fuel gauge before running in the woods..hitch for ATV trailer....revisions could get intense,if one isn't careful.

In another thread, a member mentioned grate area in my stovepipe lamont being too small ......upgraded to 20 gal. trashcan lamont and backed down blower to car heater blower box and it is kicking almost double steam rate...I forgot your name but thanks anyway.Boiler still needs alot of refinement to get full rate,but steam garden tractor still looks do-able.Running original Nuts/Teel lamonte tube lengths,just in1/4"&3/8 dia. and shooting for 169# steam rate@300PSI</HTML>

Re: Seen plan to build V- twin steam engine, from www. lightsteampower.com
Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: June 05, 2004 07:36AM

<HTML>I have just seen this post while looking up previous messages.

I bought a number of plans from Light Steam Power, including Set #1 and Set #10, around 1960 to get stearted with a steam car project.

I built the Doble type boiler in Drawing No 1 but welded all tube joints instead of using flanges as shown. I have built several boilers this size and smaller using the basic design and they all worked OK. Monotube boiler controls will drive you mad so you need to work out a control system that suits the burner and specific application.

The 20 hp steam plant plans were studied for about 2 years but my conclusion was it was too much work for too little power. It is a good set of drawings for a compound engine with a monotube steam generator.

By chance I later met the person who produced the original set of drawings. It was originally called the Bower and Bell design and drawn up by Roy Anderson (now deceased). I'm not sure when the original design was done. I saw him several times around 1976 and visited his home workshop in San Francisco when the Light Steam design was mentioned.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier but I have had a lot of computer down time in recent months and haven't been using it much.

Graeme Vagg

As Chuk mentioned, the drawings are light on detail but you can get the rest of the info you need from J.N. Walton's book - Doble Steam Cars</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.