SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Stanley Steamer, America's Legendary Steam Car
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2003 01:34PM

<HTML>I just received a notice from the Stanley Museum, that their book, "The Stanley Steamer, America's Legendary Steam Car"; by Kit Foster now has a publication date of March 1, 2004. It will be a hard cover, more than 500 pages, 12 inch X 9 inch format. More than 350 pictures, many never before published. The notice said, "At last, the definitive book on the Stanley steam car is done! Five years in the works, the Stanley Museum has put the full force of it's archives, expertise and connections to work to make this a resource worthy of the Stanley steam car and the museum that celebrates it. A virtual Who's Who of Stanley experts and historians- from Delaware's Thomas C. Marshall to Brent Campbell, the grandson of Fred Marriott's mechanic, George Monreau has vetted facts. From the main text to photograph captions and appendices, every part of the book has been reviewed in depth. The result is a single source of history, background, and the people who made it. This book pulls pieces of the story together into one place, weaving disparate fact into a whole story that's waited a century to be told. Not a shop manual or just another car book, this is a landmark publication that will appeal alike to historians, car people - and anyone interested in a good read about American's legendary past....."
My first thought is that I am going to have to get taller shelf on my book case to hold this tall book. But then, with over 500 pages, maybe it is better if it lays horizontal on the shelf. Everyone in our family thinks that I am crazy to follow the Stanley steamer with so much energy. I am going to buy a book for everyone in our family, so that they can understand why I have been in such a steamy fuss all this time. Pat Farrell</HTML>

Re: The Stanley Steamer, America's Legendary Steam Car
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2003 07:25AM

<HTML>What a treasure! My only question is whether to order the bonded leather edition with the personal name embossing? Oh, who am I kidding, of course I will! :)

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Per Nielsen (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2003 08:07PM

<HTML>Now you mention it, a workshop manual! Has anyone ever collected alle the best practice of renovating and keeping a Stanley running?
Regards, Per</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:10PM

<HTML>Per,
That would be an interesting book. I think only way you could get the data is to figure out a way to extract the information from a bunch of Stanley drivers brains! Very little is written down anywhere.

Also regarding the Stanley Steamer book the drafts were passed around to several knowledgeable and active steam car owners along with Brent and Tom and they were allowed to give input to the book. It will probably be the best and most accurate effort that has ever been put into a book on the Stanley steam car. It should be an interesting read.

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: James D. Crank (IP Logged)
Date: December 04, 2003 02:42PM

<HTML>Per and Alan,
Get the "Stanley Dealer Notes" binders from the Stanley Museum.
Also the SACA Storeroom has lots of the owners manuals for most models available.
Enough there to certainly give you what you need to run a Stanley.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: pam mohr (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2003 03:53AM

<HTML>hey how do i get this book for my neighbor tom a. who is the best by the way, and allen is that you down south? please email me or call (609) 971-6364 we owe him big time! it would be a great birthday present.</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2003 12:17PM

<HTML>Dear Pam, Order your book, "The Stanley Steamer, America's Legendary Steam Car", from the Stanley Museum. Their phone number is 1-888-263-4702 or write The Stanley Museum, P.O. Box 77, Kingfield, Maine 04947 Their publication date is March 1, 2004.</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2004 03:52AM

<HTML>Pam I am outside of Atlanta. if you want to contact me my email address is: festanley@hotmail.com

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: Philip D. Thompson (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2004 04:29PM

<HTML>I have a semitechnical article, giving the actual experiences of several years while operating and maintaining a Stanley 30 automobile. Written by my late father Dr. Jamie C. Thompson'

Philip Douglas Thompson Esq</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2004 08:58PM

<HTML>Has anyone heard any news about when these books are going to be delivered? As I recall, when I ordered my copy a few months ago, I was told a delivery date in April 2004.

Peter</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.