SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley gauges
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:33PM

<HTML>I just bought my 286 page copy of "The Antique American Steam Gauge" by Barry Lee David and published by Astragal Press. Copyrighted 2003 Web site: www.astragalpress.com I bought my copy off of eBay. In it there is a wealth of information on antique gauge restoration, history, and preservation. The gauges used by the Stanley Motor Carriage Company are covered in a 12 page chapter dedicated to them, with Robert E. Wilhelm of Wilmington, Delaware providing the expert assistance in the Stanley gauge chapter. A chart of Ashton gauge serial numbers also directs you to what year your gauge was manufactured. In restoration of gauge faces, their step by step procedures leads you through the restoration process. An improtant message: Never pollish your silver plated gauge face. Use soap and water only. Interesting in that for silver replating gauge faces, E-Z Way, of Burlington, WA, sells a wipe on silver plater that is a 99.98% real silver solution that cleans and recoats the brass surface with silver. If their face restoration all sounds too complicated, then send your gauge faces to "The Dial House", 2287 Buckanan Hwy, Dallas, Georgia, 30132, telephone 404-445-2877</HTML>

Re: Stanley gauges
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2003 01:23AM

<HTML>Pat,
Did they give any sources for the glass for the steam gages? I need a couple and don't currently have a source.

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2003 01:57PM

<HTML>Alan
Try Eugene Ernst products Co. 732-938-5641
Rolly</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2003 02:13PM

<HTML>Dear Alan, The book only shows how to cut your own gauge glass and install the new glass in most gauges. It did not cover rolling in the new glass on a Stanley type gauge. I have done this on my lathe and with the correct sized glass, it is an easy fix. Pat</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2003 04:14AM

<HTML>I have rolled the glass into a bezel and I understand that process. I am curious about making a glass per the book's instructions. Do they describe how to make a glass lens with a beveled edge?

Alan</HTML>

Date: December 07, 2003 02:55PM

<HTML>The book shows how to measure and to cut a round circle for your new gauge lense. Nothing beyond that.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 10, 2003 12:41AM

<HTML>Alan , Pat
You need to have a diamond disc or cast iron plate and motor to bevel your glass. This is what is used commercially. It would probably be cheaper to purchase the finished product from a vendor. If you have a diamond faced sharpener for carbide tools you could make a fixture to make the bevel but you would still have to devise a way to polish it. I have a diamond bladed wet bandsaw (it's easier than a circle type glass cutter) and would be happy to cut a disc out of supplied material for you. You could then bevel and polish it yourself. I have a friend who ground his own 10 inch reflector telescope in front of the TV so I know it can be done.
Time on your hands?
Good Luck,

Dick Vennerbeck</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: December 10, 2003 11:59AM

<HTML>Dick, Pat,
I cut stained glass for many years and any good stained glass business should have a beveling machine that would grind and bevel a flat circle for you. There are several small beveling machines available on the market for those that make custom beveled glass decorative windows. The stained glass houses sell all sorts of precut bevels, many of them in different size circles.
Hollander Glass in New York(maybe Brooklyn) is one of the biggest and they are cheap. As far as grinding one yourself and polishing it would be a very long effort. I have ground three telescope lenses by hand and it is a very slow process taking hundreds of hours per lens. Check and see if there is a stained glass shop in your area and they could possibly zip a few out for you.
Merry Christmas(can't say that in NYC public schools??), George</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.