SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Brake Drum Help Needed
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2004 06:13PM

<HTML>Hi,
We took our 1910 Stanley Model 60 out for its first ride after sitting in a museum for 12 years! Ron Parola rubbed his magic hands over the plumbing and checked out the running gear. The car looks to have modified 20 hp brake sets mounted on the original 10 hp axle housing.
The drums are 12" by 2" and are pitted beyond use. I am looking for a source of new drums that can be modified to fit. The new drums should be 12" by 2.5" if possible. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Dick Vennerbeck
Los Gatos, California</HTML>

Re: Brake Drum Help Needed
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: March 14, 2004 11:02AM

<HTML>I have heard of several brake conversions where drums meant for small trucks have been machined to fit the Stanley hubs. A friendly auto parts supplier may loan you a brake parts catalog that lists the drums available, often with pictures and dimensions. Then it is a lathe job to make the drum fit a "new" hub.</HTML>

Posted by: Bruce Waterworth (IP Logged)
Date: March 14, 2004 10:45PM

<HTML> You might try Bob Barrett, 716 549 4157 [home evening]. He produces hydraulic conversions for stanley brakes. I think he uses Triumph for 10hp and Jaguar for 20hp. These have the advantage of being the same size as the originals but are cast iron. Good luck, Bruce.</HTML>

Date: March 21, 2004 01:34PM

<HTML>Dave and Bruce and Pat,

Thanks for your help. The 12" by 2.5" drums that work and look like original Stanleys are from Jaguar. The one piece cast drums were used on the XK120 XK140 and Mark 7 in the 50's You must find the Rear drums from cars with Disc wheels. (Wires will not work as well because they have a 1/2" negative offset and you would have to make some kind of spacer to fit the wooden spokes)

After Lots of searching I found one in San Luis Obispo CA and one in upstate NY. $50 each plus shipping. NOS were $250 each!

Dick</HTML>

Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: March 24, 2004 06:36PM

<HTML>
When we needed new drums for the 735A we turned them from solid stock, exactly to the original dimensions. It was'nt a difficult job and the cost was very reasonable</HTML>

Date: March 25, 2004 12:40AM

<HTML>Hi Kobus,
Long time since you rode in the Buggy at Todds! Thanks for your input. Was the material cast iron or? Please give my regards to Alie. When will you visit the US again? rvennerbeck@direcway.com

Dick</HTML>

Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2004 05:39PM

<HTML>
Hi Dick,

We used cast iron. We will be at the Colorado Steam Tour in Sept.
Best regards. Kobus</HTML>

Posted by: Aaron Frantik (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2004 03:42AM

<HTML>You may what to use Ductile iron instead of cast iron.
It is better quality if you are machining from solid.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.