SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Fuel Vapor Sealant
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2004 07:05AM

<HTML>What is best for sealing threaded plugs and fittings in premix vaporizing burner jets and branches? I am making good progress on a vaporizing burner and pilot light (indexing for slot cutting is such joy!), and am wondering what (if any) sealant people have used with success. Some parts I am silver-soldering for safety, other parts seem best left unscrewable for cleaning; in those places, fuel vapor leaks through threaded fittings don't look like a fun thing to mess with. The small burners I have worked with in the past didn't seem to use any sealant, or maybe residual sealant was still doing the job when I reassembled the parts after inspection/cleaning.

Peter</HTML>

Re: Fuel Vapor Sealant
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2004 10:07AM

<HTML>Peter
On most branch forks, the plugs are ¼-20 X 3/8” bolts with copper washers for the seal.</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2004 10:51AM

<HTML>Peter
Sorry There 1/4-28
On most branch forks, the plugs are ¼-28 X 3/8” bolts with copper washers for the seal.
In any case use a straight thread and a copper washer for the seal.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2004 11:30AM

<HTML>On branch fork clean out plugs, I have used a copper coat anti sieze with good results. It stands up to the heat and you can get it apart at a later date. For the branch forks that are retained by large nut, I have used solid copper washers that are oil pan gaskets. I buy those off the shelf at the local auto parts store.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: June 03, 2004 07:21AM

<HTML>Thanks, Rolly and Pat! Yet another trip to the auto parts store is now on the schedule. They have steam car parts & supplies, they just don't know it. :)

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2004 04:01AM

<HTML>Peter,
The standard is copper gaskets. Unfortunately they anneal and soften and you may have to crank on them a couple of times during use to keep them tight, and then they may work harden. In my experience outside of steam cars we used 24K gold o-rings for high temp and purity critical applications. (Los Alamos) A much cheaper solution would be to use silver plated stainless steel. The Stainless provides the rigidity requires and the silver plating provides the softer sealing surface. You might try "VCR" gaskets in Google.

Dick</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.