SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Doble Trivia
Posted by: Brad Austin (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2004 03:28AM

<HTML>I recently met my friends 90 year old mother who grew up in San Francisco. Awhile back I sent him some pictures of a restored Doble. Here's a response.

Could you resend the "nice" Doble pictures again since I seem to have lost them somewhere. My mom wants to see a pix of that car.

She sez that way back in San Francisco, Mr. Doble's son was trying to fly a kite off the roof of a building and fell off and perished. Mr. Doble was in jail then according to mom.

Interesting story.</HTML>

Re: Doble Trivia
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2004 11:13AM

<HTML>Brad,
True story. Only Abner Doble jr. went up to the roof to watch a fire down the block and fell off. According to the Chronicle story.
JC</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2004 06:11PM

<HTML>Hay Jim

May you could give the old lady a ride in your Doble. Take a picture with her in it. What a treat.

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Harold Treacy (IP Logged)
Date: September 16, 2004 10:13AM

<HTML>One restored Doble project was going on down in Madera - could that be the vehicle so photograhed? (Its crankshaft was screwed-up by an improper welding job which was to have built up its worn mains).
I think there was a Doble remaining in SF but it hadn't needed restoration.
Old Mr. Doble probably got put away by the Detroit guys. Didn't the
DeLorean project collapse rather quickly, as did Tucker?
Just imagine putting one of those smokescreen generators (small flash boilers) Bechtel was making for the U.S. Navy, into a Tucker with a Doble engine between its wheels! The Professor in Dayton.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.