SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Flame properties
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2004 03:04PM

<HTML>There is a fairly recent reference in this forum to a "perfect flame". Would someone please describe to me the qualities and appearance of such flames in both the pilot and main burners and how one makes them "perfect"?

Thanks, Kobus</HTML>

Re: Flame properties
Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2004 12:54PM

<HTML>I assume you mean in a vaporizing burner, like a Stanley or White. The flame should be blue in colour, with a short, brighter inner cone. There should be no hint of yellow or white luminoscity, although I have often seen Sodium yellow flashes (probably due to all the salt used on roads in winter here). The short inner cones of the flames should lie close to, but ideally, not on the grate. If the inner cone has a green tint, the flame is likely to be too rich, and making some carbon monoxide as a result.
As to how it's done, I've been at it for three decades, and still trying. Fortunately, perfection is not needed for good steaming! My car seems to steam best with a somewhat lean flame, which lifts off the grate by nearly an inch. This also keeps the grate cooler.</HTML>

Re: Flame properties
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2004 04:40PM

<HTML>Thanks David. It will help me get better at it. Kobus</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.