SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Graphite
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: August 31, 2004 07:58PM

<HTML>Does anyone know the grade of graphite used for packings and seal rings ? EDPM seems to be the most comon of the machinable grades of solid graphite.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: Graphite
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2004 07:49PM

<HTML>Peter,
Whenever we needed high tech graphite for a project we would always go to Poco Graphite. They really know their stuff. [www.poco.com] (But their website is lousy.)
Dick</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2004 10:10AM

<HTML>Peter,
Years ago the product of choice was GRAPHITAR and there were many grades of various hardnesses for such applications. It was widely used in oiless air compressors for rings.
George</HTML>

Date: September 02, 2004 07:20PM

<HTML>Thanks for the info, but I don't seem to fing what grade is used for seals. For good information on graphite and ceramics you can also try [www.graphitestore.com]

Peter Heid</HTML>

Date: September 06, 2004 08:20PM

<HTML>Peter,
The name of the company brand is now GRAPHALLOY that make self lubricating graphite-metal alloys. The Graphite Metallizing Company 914-968-8468. Hope this helps.
George</HTML>

Date: September 07, 2004 05:41PM

<HTML>Thanks George !

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2004 06:21PM

<HTML>Graphalloy
Peter & George
I have never seen Graphalloy used as packing, only as high temperature bearings. I think I remember its good to 400 C. I have used a graphite reinforced seal PTFE #13125K78 Good for 500 F
Rolly</HTML>

Date: September 08, 2004 09:32AM

<HTML> The old Graphitar catalog had a high temperature seal/bearing material good to 750F, it was also very hard. I am not quite sure if the two names I have mentioned are the same company---the graphitar catalog is packed away for now.</HTML>

Date: September 09, 2004 02:27PM

<HTML>As I understand it, many new graphite seals are non metallic. The newer processes they use make some very strong graphite products. It's not just pencil lead anymore.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Date: September 10, 2004 10:20AM

<HTML>peter,
As I remember the Graphitar products was a lengthy list of all non-metallic graphite materials.
George</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: September 12, 2004 11:39AM

<HTML>Peter,
The McMaster Carr online catalog [www.mcmaster.com] page 3236 has very high performance packing. Carbon reinforced graphite suitable for steam temparatures +1200 and pressures to 4500#'s. This stuff is very shiny, slippery and flexible. I'm trying it out in a 20 horse stanley now. As for seals are you mean piston rings or some rotary application?
Dick</HTML>

Date: September 30, 2004 01:16PM

<HTML>The Metallized Carbon Corporation - METCAR of Ossining, NY is a supplier of seals of this type. They also make bushings and bearings also.

Peter heid</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.