SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Newbie...need research material.
Posted by: Richard E Parson (IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2004 09:06PM

<HTML>I read this great book from the library since I was interested in Steam autos. It said they had a safe low-emmisions car in 1968? They oil companies are bastards, now young men are dying for almighty Halliburton and that a$$hole, Dick Cheney! Anyway, I want all the information possible on steam engines. I think that The Governenator here in California, USA in open minded enough to approve of steam engines making a comeback. I love engineering and politics. I will sue California Air Resources Board up the wazoo if I have to. I am willing to fight for this cause. I need great ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Please e-mail me ASAP. Thank you.</HTML>

Steam is the future, beatch!

Re: Newbie...need research material.
Posted by: Damijan Ruzic (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2004 05:30PM

<HTML>Halo, Richard,

Fine, I am ready and willing to help.
First of all, we need to understand which of three feasible ways we wish to go -
Combined I.C. engine / rankine cycle. To save energy in combined engine where steam engine is running on waste energy of Internal Combustion engine (1)
Water injection into the cylinder of I.C. engine (2)
Fine steam engine with energy recirculation system and solid expander(3).
I am working on all of these projects and I have most of the solutions, but I can clearly say that I have a shortage of fonds and if you see any feasibility of fonding I belive that we can come on remarkable energy saving in short time.
With my best polites,
Damijan Ruzic</HTML>

That is great.
Posted by: Richard Parson (IP Logged)
Date: October 07, 2004 05:24PM

<HTML>I think internal combustion is out. I understand using water injection with very high compression. I understand very high compression ratios would clean the emissions up alot. Have you also thought about using Natural gas. It has a octane rating of 113 or so. The mixture of water and natural gas is questionable. Would it detonate? It could take a deisal compression ratios. Where are you at? The US? I would like to see pictures and research material. I think we both could make money on this if the government is compliant. I like idea number 3. But number 2 seems less complicated. Number 1 I know will be very sophisticated. I agree that the technology is already here. We just need the money to CNC parts for a working model. I like the idea of putting a steam engine in a motor bike. Top-speed 45 mph, city driving. If you have pictures, please email me.

Sincerely,
Richard Parson</HTML>

Posted by: Lonny Claypool (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2004 02:16PM

<HTML>Hi guys, I am glad to see an interest in steam from a younger crowd. Abner Doble is a name you should research. His steam car represented the pinacle of steam car design. Jay Leno wrote an interesting article in a popular mechanics magazine, but I can't remember the month. If I find it I will post it. His 1929 (I think that was the year) Doble could even now pass the California emissions tests with flying colors. The thing thay killed the steam car was not a good steam design, but rather the electric starter for the IC cars of the time. Although Abner's Steamer could get up a full head of steam in less than a minute, it just could compete with the start and go of the IC cars of the time. Check it out and keep watching this forum and you will learn. Cheers!</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:12PM

<HTML>Doble didn't fail because of IC compitition. The electric starter played a part with White and Stanley. But the demise of the old steam cars came about mostly from internal problems. The Stanley brothers were not interested in mass production and were even picky about who they sold their cars to at times. The Doble failed because of a lot of factors. Stock problems. Abner's continual improvements. No two were the same. They just never got into production.</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:49PM

<HTML>Dear Andy, You made a good reply to why Doble failed. HJowever, the White's last year for their steam car was 1910. The first year for an affordable electric starter was in 1912 when Louis Kettering designed the first starter for Cadillac. One of the downfalls for the steam car in the earlier years was that the steam car needed more attention while driving. A gas car, as long as it had fuel, the driver could go on about any trip from start to finish without the driver looking at any of it's gauges. Not so with the steam car. That is why for commercial use especially, that the gas vehicles flourished. It took more time to educate the new teamster to operate a steam vehicle than it did to educate him to operate the Otto cycle (internal combustion) vehicles. Another factor too, were the roads. The steam car operated with more control on the earlier rough roads than the cas cars did. As the roads improved, the cas cars no longer had as many problems with their grabbing clutches and resulting broken axles.</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2004 03:33PM

<HTML>I know of two stories on Roland White reasion to quit stean car production.

1). He thought he had reached the limits of steam car development and with the comming of the electric starter he made the deccission to quit. Not sure were I read that account. I never questioned the timming before. Maybe he knew about the starter development.

2) Jim Crank (I think) in a post here or on the SACA forum said that it was his father that puled the plug. And that there was more advanced designs in the making when production was stoped.</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2004 11:18AM

<HTML>It is true that in an early Stanley, one did have to pay attention to the boiler. The feed pumps were hand controlled.
But in later Stanleys and most Whites, the steam systems did a good job of self control. In touring with my tired old 735 Stanley, the main thing I have to watch is the water tank guage. And I seldom have to check it until I have gone 50 miles on a tank full. True, I turn the second feed pump on while on a long grade or in stop and go traffic, but that is much less fuss than the I. C. equivalent of having to down shift into a lower gear.
I have read that one reason White stopped making steamers was that had had a serious accident with the pressurized fuel tank; one burst in a road accident and incinerated the car. The Stanleys allegedly refused to license their fuel pump and small pressure bottle system.
I suspect another reason was changing taste in body styles, it was increasingly difficult to find room for the steam generator in the White layout.</HTML>

Re: reintroduce steam car in usa
Posted by: Kenneth Hahn (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:36PM

<HTML>Hi:

If anyone can raise money in the US?

e.g. approach someone like Bill Gate, Paul Allen, or
Stan Lucas( he has a collection of steam car)??

I can get Chinese company to develop the steam car.

They have the technology to develop, manufacture steam engine.

Best regards

Kenneth Hahn</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.