SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
oil separator
Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 12:37AM

<HTML>I was in the auto parts store the other day, just browsing around, and I saw some of the aftermarket mufflers and got to wondering if one of them might, with a little modification, work as an oil separator? Has anyone tried this yet? Seems like you could get one of the ones that are fairly free flowing and put it in the steam exhaust line kind of in the area where the feed water heater fits (735 Stanley), put a drain valve on it, and see how it works. Right now I am in the process of putting in my new boiler so want to have a functional separator before I do any condensing.</HTML>

Re: oil separator
Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 10:44AM

<HTML>Eric,

I have not found any design on in-line exhaust steam separator that will remove all the oil in the steam. Residual oil will end up in the feed tank but this can be filtered out. There should be some muffler flow paths that would trap some of the oil.

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 11:04AM

<HTML>Eric
If you have installed a new boiler switch to Mobil SCH 634 Synthetic Gear oil. This oil separates from water almost instantly.
Some others and I have been using it with good results and I have dropped the valve cover on my friends engine after four years of use and everything was covered with oil and no sign of wear.
When the water returns to the tank from the condenser it will all be on top of the water and will not mix. If you don’t run the tank down two low you will never get any into your boiler. When you refill the water tank it will all float off the top and out the over flow.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 01:25PM

<HTML>Rolly, do you know off hand what temperature this oil is good to?

Thank you---------------Bill G.</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 02:55PM

<HTML>Rolly
I have been setting here for the last several minutes trying to remember the proper name, but there was an oil separator that worked much like a trap in a common house drain. I believe they were designed to automatically drain the separated oil as well. From the properties of the Mobil oil you have noticed, I would think these would be an ideal combination.

On your mention of using Mobil SCH 634 Synthetic Gear oil with a ‘new boiler’, what is the problem with switching to this oil on a steamer that has been using the old steam cylinder oils?
Garry</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2004 03:57PM

<HTML>The car I tested has a 14-1/2 foot super heater and has had temperatures as high as 900 F and has shown no signs of problems at the valves. Remember the flash rating you find on oil is not taken in a steam pipe.
Rolly</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2004 04:05PM

<HTML>The car I tested has a 14-1/2 foot super heater and has had temperatures as high as 900 F and has shown no signs of problems at the valves. Remember the flash rating you find on oil is not taken in a steam pipe.

I don’t think you will need an oil separator with this oil. But the blast plate type I believe would be most affective and take up the least room.
There is no problem switching at any time. But if your starting off with a new boiler don’t use the old 600 w steam oil like TK 1000 or the 1500.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 11:11PM

<HTML>I like the idea of not needing an oil separator, sounds like an easy solution. Is there a way to catch the oil before it gets to the tank so it can be drained off an properly disposed of? Thanks, Eric</HTML>

Date: October 18, 2004 11:12AM

<HTML>I guess you could put a 3-M oil absorbing rag in a pail under the over flow pipe when you fill the tank. What do you do now let it go all over the driveway or lawn?
Steam car guys don’t ask those kind of questions.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: October 18, 2004 11:20AM

<HTML>Hi , David has written quite a good article on this,,,hopefully he'll comment on its whereabouts,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: October 18, 2004 12:58PM

<HTML>Rolly,

It would seem that this oil would be really low in mayonase production since it separates from the water so well. Have you found this to be the case and does it maintain a good coat of oil in the crankcase with the presents of water?

Thank you---------------Bill G.</HTML>

Date: October 18, 2004 01:47PM

<HTML>My friend is also using this oil in the crank section of his Stanley. Absolutely no mayonnaises. I installed a 1/8 petcock in the low section of his pan to drain any water. The TK 1000 he had in there was all mayonnaises.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: October 18, 2004 05:19PM

<HTML>Rolly, your results at 900 Deg are amazing. I assume this is F and not C degrees? Also, what kind of valves are living at these temperatures?

My thinking on an oil seperator was of it being a touch more enviromentaly freindly. And, it would be interesting if someone could get Mobil to run a test on the oil after it has been through the system. If the oil holds no moisture, and it does not deteroate in any fashion at these temps, there might be a way to recycle it for furthur use.

Ben... jump up and down and get your article published! It sounds like these synthetics might let us push into the temperature ranges that gave Dobel, Besler, and many others, such headaches.
For all of you that have been working with this, a GREAT BIG 'THANK YOU!'
Garry</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2004 01:37PM

<HTML>My article on the oil separators I have been using is on the SACA web site, NorthEast Papers.</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: October 25, 2004 12:55PM

<HTML>Rolly,
How many miles does the four years of use that you quote represent?

Alan</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2004 01:29PM

<HTML>Alan, I don’t know. But no where near the miles David Nergaard runs.</HTML>

Posted by: Don Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2004 10:05PM

<HTML>That is called a Derr oil seperator! Located just were you suggested. I have an extra one if you want it!</HTML>

Posted by: Eric B. Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2004 10:39PM

<HTML>Hi Don,
Sounds interesting. So it goes where the feed water heater normally went? When I got this car there was no feed water heater, just a straight pipe up to the condenser. It has a flexable metal pipe, like an exhaust pipe on a Cord, that connects the exhaust manifold to the pipe, this leaks oil like a sieve. Anyway, I would be interested in a separator even if I switch to the other oil as I would at least try and make an atempt to keep some of it out of the enviornment, or at least off my driveway. Thanks, Eric</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2004 11:01AM

<HTML>Eric
There is just one thing about using this oil. You need a pressure gauge on your oil line to see the pulses. You can’t see this stuff in a winker.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: Don Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:07AM

<HTML>The Derr oil separator was placed parallel to the road in the car right after the exhaust loop from the engine- how well does it work? Not as good as the separator I have on the same line after the Derr oil separator. However- if interested I could part with it for around $650- can you pick up? Washington, NJ 07882- E mail if interested - deckel@goes.com</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.