SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mason Serial #
Posted by: Ed Adamson (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2004 12:39AM

<HTML>My 6 HP Mason engine from the Stanley auction has a casting #53. Does anyone have research on these #s?

After research it may be he one the Stanley used to climb Mt Washington in 1899 [or close to it].

I need to locate plans for the respective 1899-1901 Stanley locomobile. Does anyone have info on plans?

THANKS</HTML>

Re: Mason Serial #
Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2004 04:18AM

<HTML>Several member have biult their own locomobile.Some like Howard Henderson even had to make his own patterns to cast parts for that car.</HTML>

Posted by: Brad Austin (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2004 06:30PM

<HTML>I found this in Robert Wilhelm's site: On August 31, 1899 Freelan 0. Stanley and his wife Flora drove their Stanley-designed Locomobile #93 up the 7.6 mile, 4,725 foot vertical rise Mount Washington carriage road in two hours and 10 minutes (including a stop to take on water), far less than the usual six hours it took to climb the mountain in a horse drawn stage.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2004 07:40PM

<HTML>The stage used 3 TEAMS I think,,,and they raced em too !!! Ben</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2004 12:08PM

<HTML>Maybe you should consider the replica Locomobile kits being made in England. Just use your engine instead of the new one.</HTML>

Posted by: Don Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2004 01:43AM

<HTML>My Mason engine is # 3711. Evidently they made quite a few of these engines- you have a very low number- if it is read of the jacketed case- if not- I suppose maybe you could be reading a part #?</HTML>

Posted by: john hampton (IP Logged)
Date: December 17, 2004 07:09PM

<HTML>I have Mason Nš 441 stamped on brass frame alongside main bearing. A few years I tried to research manufacture date etc, but got no feedback.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.