SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
SHIPPING a Steamer
Posted by: Rick (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2004 04:26PM

<HTML>I'm shipping a 1919 Stanley Steamer model 735r Touring vehicle from Denver to England. Does anyone know of any particular requirements for shipping in a 20' steamship container? ie. does the boiler have to be purged such as a propane tank? I really do not know anything about the
car.</HTML>

RICK

Re: SHIPPING a Steamer
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2004 05:19PM

<HTML>Rick,

I shipped my 735A from South Africa to the UK and back. It was containerised as a running vehicle, nothing was done to it after shut-down and normal blowdown. All the fuel and water went with it as is. The main burner fuel was still under pressure when I took it out of the container in Scotland. The only precaution I took was switching the battery main switch off.

Cheers, Kobus</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2004 06:42PM

<HTML>Most important requirement is to fasten it down well in the container - many old cars have been severely damaged by banging back and forth in the container - a few blocks of wood nailed to the floor is definately not good enough.

Also get it well insured - this is expensive - for the very good reason that these ships often sink!</HTML>

Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:45PM

<HTML>Sound like a quick trip to the truckstop for a arm load of load locks.
(The little poles that trucker jack into place to hold pallets in place.)</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:43PM

<HTML>Hi,,,Unless these poles are bigger than what I have seen here I wouldn't trust em,,,, Hopefully there will be something to get cables on...Several years ago I bought 100 ft of 1/4'' cable and a few shackles and tied down a 5200# S-G RR ... I crossed the cables X pattern on both ends so it couldn't move in any of 4 directions.....and used several strands at every corner...These boxes get tossed around,,not on purpose,,but does happen, Cable it as if the box may get stood on end somewhere,,,XXXXX,,,,The 1903 Stanley CX, a most original example , formerly in the Ford Museum ,before the auction,, is somewhere on the bottom of the English chanell ,,, Regardless of insurance,,,its a loss to us all.. XXXXX .Hiram Maxim's steam airplane engine is in a chest,,being returned to Smithsonian,, almost 93 years late so far,, off Greenland I think. The mate is on the 4th floor of KennsingtonMuseum. The plane was a 2 engine plane...Design is BEAUTIFUL Cheers Ben P/S If a car has antifreez,,they drain it[sell to friend] If it has water they will NOT drain it,,,why bother,,,I saw to the repairs of a 540 Mercedes that left Zirich w/ water,,,and the insurance claim draged on for 2 or more years,,,cb</HTML>

Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:57AM

<HTML>Definately make sure the car can NOT move in the container! It may not be necessary to restrain it from moving if the contaitner gets stood on its end, but one should allow for 45 degree tilts in any direction. Also, assume the container may be dropped, not from a great height, but very likely from a yard (or a metre).
Bob Ballard can tell one where the Maxim Aero-steam engine is: on board the Titanic!</HTML>

Posted by: Carl Quinn (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:03PM

<HTML> Do not use load locks. They fall down with normal trailer wall flexing. Best ones are " bumper jacks " square, not round. All containers I have seen have a wooden floor. Also can use side corrugations with longer padded wood to prevent movement. Biggest trick I found in restraint is not to let it begin to move.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.