SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The use of boiler treatment
Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2004 06:42PM

<HTML>Ladies and Gents
Has anybody tried using boiler treatment in steam car boilers ?
It is common practice in the traction engine world and power stations where pressures are very high.
It seems a sensible thing to do as it will keep any sediment in suspension until the boiler is blown down and coat the components of the boiler in a protective layer, stopping the build up of scale.</HTML>

Re: The use of boiler treatment
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2004 06:54PM

<HTML>Ian
Yes I use LSB8000 Its a Locomotive Steam Boiler Treament.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2004 07:42PM

<HTML>Depending on the water quality, I often use a tablespoon of Tri-Sodium-Phosphate to every tank of water. The hardware stores sell it as TSP, a paint brush cleaner. TSP breaks down the soilds and like you said, the melted solids leave that evening during the blow down .</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2004 07:58PM

<HTML>Ian,

In the UK Stuart Grey, see [www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk]

is I believe going to supply small amounts of boiler feed treatment suitable for steam cars</HTML>

Posted by: Christopher W. Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: December 08, 2004 03:29AM

<HTML> I use Kysol. I don't know if you can still get it but it's a boiler compound that my grandfather used and works very well. It reduces excess oxygen and keeps all the junk from clinging to the boiler. It does very well for me.
While in Washington I saw how well TPS worked for Pat Farrell. He is very sharp. On a personal note he is also one of the best friends I have ever had.

CWR</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: December 08, 2004 11:47AM

<HTML> TSP is quite effective but beware of the stuff in hardware stores that is only 5-7% tri sodium phosphate and the rest is something else. Full strength TSP can still be found in some stores.
George</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.