SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley 30 hp Daytona racer
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2004 06:07AM

<HTML>We own a 1916 Stanley model 826-C dated 3-17-16 chassis. It was one of only two model 826 Stanleys ever built. Custom built for Mr. Fred Lewis of New York, two boilers were installed in the 30 hp Mt. Wagon frame, one in front of the other. The steering column was located 30 inches to the rear of its normal factory drilled location. When finished, the Stanley was raced at Daytona Beach, Florida. In post racing history; in addition to it’s “under frame” mounted water tank, its extra front boiler was replaced with an over frame water tank. The Stanley ended up working outside of Los Angeles, California being used to haul workers and supplies to and from Mr. Fred Lewis’ orange groves. By the spring of 1922, Goldie Moore bought the Stanley with the front mounted water tank and moved things to where they belonged. He adapted the mountain wagon to hauling his plumbing and welding equipment in his business, and it was eventually retired from active service in about 1929. In 1961, Goldie rescued the old Stanley with a face lift by adding a Depot hack type of body on its back and adding new paint. I am currently replacing Goldie’s home built body with a 1916 non condensing 12 passenger Mt. Wagon body. Due to its colorful history, I am leaving all of the factory drilled holes for the extra mounted boiler and for the relocated steering box as they were originally found. Mr. Fred Lewis’ employees vouched that the Stanley had ran at Daytona, but I have no way to officially verify this. Does anyone have any more information about this old time racer?</HTML>

Re: Stanley 30 hp Daytona racer
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2004 09:22PM

<HTML> Good question, would have thought Coburn would have some info in this. After the 1906 debacle the europeans threatened to come back with more powerfull cars(as Coburn has said they didn't show up) but the remark of Frank Stanley was they could add another boiler to the racer and still meet the 1000KG requirements in 1907. It would be neat to find out if a double boilered car ever existed and the year you mentioned is much later. If it was in a mountain wagon frame it was rather big and who knows what the wind resistance would have been, doesn't sound like a racing effort but a powerfull hauler to overcome hills. Sure is an intruging mystery. Wonder who in 1916 would have undertaken a two boiler car---maybe Brent would have some info on such a thing.
George</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2004 11:07PM

<HTML>Hi,,,Most of the paper I have does not concentrate much on west coast racing,,,and I have focused on the early years,,,That does NOT mean it wasn't active out there,,,This would be interesting to follow up,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2004 03:19AM

<HTML>Hi Guys, Thank you for your interest. When our model 826 was first built, it was set up for two boilers by the Stanley factory and we believe it only raced at Daytona Beach on the East coast. After having his fun a Daytona, Mr. Fred Lewis sent it west to his orchards near Los Angeles, California. I don think that it was ever raced again after Daytona in January 1917, as I haven't found information on that. I agree that it had to be heavy. Imagine the weight of two boilers, two burners and a heavy 30 hp engine, all on a steel Mt. Wagon frame. Wind resistance? With out the Mt. Wagon body, there wasn't much wind resistance. Having moved the driver back on the frame, there wasn't much room left for any type of body but for the driver and his mechanic. The 57 gallon water tank was no longer hanging below the frame because that is where the second boiler was hung. Maybe they placed a smaller water tank behind the driver? What we have here is a lot of steaming capacity with the liability of a heavy steel frame. I could see it racing on a flat track, but not racing for a high speed record flying mile. A hill climb would be easily with in it's reach too. While in Colorado at the 2004 Western National Steam Car tour, Richard Moore (who is the son of the Goldie Moore who bought the Mt. Wagon in 1922), Brent Campbell and myself discussed this car. Richard had some old photos of the car with him with it's two place aluminum body. Brent became rather excited of it's body design because of what was left there resembled the front cab portion of the rare flush sided aluminum bodied Mt. Wagon (of which there may only be one left exsisting today). The cab of the aluminum body does have an original factory firewall, but to me, the rest of the body looks adapted. I have since removed that body and replaced it with an accurate 1916 Stanley noncondensing 12 passenger body. Brent thought that by removing this old body that I maybe be disturbing the history of a sole survivor. I have saved the old aluminum body just in case there is any history to it. If there is a way to post a photo on this phorum, I would post a photo of the side frame rail showing where the Stanleys had drilled it for the extra boiler and moved the driver to the rear, stearing and all. Mr. Fred Lewis, a very rich man from New York is the one who had this car built by the Stanley factory. He had owned many fast cars and he also owned farms and ranches from New York, Florida, California and even in British Columbia, Canada. Today he is still well know for his fast cars and his rich habits right up into the 1950's. On Google, I couldn't get any correct hits on Mr. Fred Lewis. If he was so important, as I have been told, where is his history's "track record"?</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2004 12:53PM

<HTML>Hi Pat,,,,There is endless info that has not been put on computer address etc, One fellow / Berliner has at some expense, has put in a great amount on about Long Island racimg,,etc It would take hours to cover,,,Another site has the Gordon Bennett 1903 race,, ON site account by Charles Jarott/competitor view of the race from IN it,, ! One of the most moving accounts ever,,,But all this stuff has been put in recently,,,,The best accounts are in the paper of the day,,,Is there anny chance the local paper would have arcived the race week events,,,Remember the gas boys couldn't have cared less about the steam thing,,,good riddence, ! Generally the reporters are interested in the big name winners,, not he body of contestants,,however this may have been unusual enough to have been newsworthy,,maybee,, Fire chief Holmes had a early 30 hp touring,, It had 2 extra hood louvers,,How many other Stanleys he had I am not sure,,,But he dated from the days of horse-drawn engines and preferd steam [ of course ] Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: December 06, 2004 07:49PM

<HTML>P/s Chief Holmes car was a EARLY CONDENSING 30 HP ////CB</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.