SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
solving the oil problem in condensing cars
Posted by: Christopher W. Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2004 02:32AM

<HTML> A few months ago I looked into the water tank of my 1919 Stanley. On top was a film of black oil. Not good. In dropping the tank it looked as if the tank had never been cleaned so the oil is probally from 1919 to 2004. I took it and had it cleaned at a radiator shop. One half of the problem solved.
My 1919 has a oil seperator installed from Wright Austin. It is in good working condition. However there is a light film of oil on the feed water heater installed in front of the condenser. So my conclusion is although the oil seperator is working, it is not taking out 100% of the oil.
So my solution was to convert the car to non condensing. I fabricated a line that runs parell to the water tank and installed some brackits to hold it in place. Now the steam travels through the condenser and out to the rear of the car.
Oil problem solved. However this does come with a price. My milage is now down to 17 1/2 miles per tank of water, (allowing around 4-5 gallons still in the tank). So this is one solution to consider.

CWR</HTML>

Re: solving the oil problem in condensing cars
Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2004 11:35AM

<HTML>There are two possible solutions to this problem. I have fitted separators to my car and have had no significant oil in my boiler for several years, more than 7000 miles. I get about a hundred miles to a tank of water, but usually drive at moderate speeds and use a more modern engine. I use a staight mineral, not a compounded, cylinder oil. My separators are described in the NorthEast pages of the SACA web site <www.steamautomobile.com>.
There are synthetic oils available which are easily separated from water, but I have no direct experience with them.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.