SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Miata?
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2002 07:32AM

<HTML>Hi Jim and all,

Got the Miata engine compartment measurements (and a wild ride on wet streets -- lots of "Starsky and Hutch" sliding action & a "sliding U-turn") from my buddy with the 1990 Miata. His wife was home asleep. He needed corners at speed to break the rear wheels loose, even on wet asphalt. That's no problem with steam. Engine compartment is about 28" wide between wheel wells, 28" long (behind radiator), and a bit under 24" tall. I figure a boiler and associated stuff can fit into that space. Slight hood bulge can give a few extra inches height if needed and can look hot if done right.

He got this for $3000 running & said maybe $2000 with a shot engine or tranny.

A 1994 Eagle Summit gives about 34" wide x 28" long behind radiator x 24" tall. Radiator is 13" tall x 26" wide, with about a 2" core (may have included auto tranny cooler, not sure). Didn't get the radiator measurements on the Miata.

These are pretty typical recent small cars. Think we can fit a boiler &c. under the hood?

Peter</HTML>

Re: Steam Miata?
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2002 02:31PM

<HTML>Peter,
Yes; but now where do you put the engine?
If it goes in the driveline tunnel and is small enough to be jammed into there, fine.
Me, I would put the boiler and burner blower in the trunk and the rest of the stuff under the hood. Where is your water tank? Fender well? The battery location? 24volt too.
Don't forget you have to leave room to pass the air out of the engine compartment, as well as in. Side vents and a small scoop on the hood to feed the condenser under there.
One condenser where the radiator is now, and one under as much of the hood as possible.
That Miata is a neat car and as you found out, handles very well stock. I drove one set up for racing, lowered, wide wheels, all that stuff and I swear it cannot be turned over, just drifts in the corners much wider.
There is so much available for the suspension, body mods, headrests and all that, it really is a good car for conversion. Fun when you get through with it too.
Keep thinking.
Jim</HTML>

Re: Steam Miata?
Date: March 19, 2002 10:19AM

<HTML>Hi Jim,

Boiler & tank in trunk, & underhood engine bolted to stock drivetrain with proper gears/bearings/adaptor housing, could work too. There are lots of ways to go with conversions, none of them easy, perfect, or sure-fire. I've got a few ideas, but will follow your advice & keep my mouth shut about design details until I can hand somebody the keys for a test drive. You never know who's reading, and I wouldn't want Mazda to beat me to market with a steam Miata built to my specs. :) Not to mention potential competition at Danville.

Anyway, vehicle conversions demand a lot more analysis than a few pulls of the tape measure, and any plan can change a lot after further study.

This definitely would make a nice steam roadster, well worth further consideration.

Peter</HTML>

Re: Steam Caravan??
Posted by: George K. Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2002 11:47AM

<HTML>Jim and Peter,
Please don't laugh too loud on this---it has several advantages:
-A ring gear sitting just under the firewall to drop an engine upon.
-A double wide radiater/condenser area up front--six sq.ft.
-I have a 1984 sitting in my yard that when first out was claimed to take only 22 horsepower to average 60mph/very low drag coefficient although boxy.
-Enough room for a 3 cylinder 3x4 inline up against the firewall and space enough for a good Lamont boiler, all plumbing close together(Old designs on the engine and boiler are in thick manila folders somewhere around here)
-Lastly and most importantly a LOT OF ROOM in the back for all the spare parts, torches, fittings and other emergency gear to get it back running after breaking down every few miles during its test runs!!!

So its not sexy, just a big box, but a very functional vehicle and room for friends and beer coolers!!
George</HTML>

Re: Steam Caravan??
Date: March 19, 2002 08:54PM

<HTML>Hey George,

Okay, I called the Miata a "girly car", and snickered at the Skoda on another site, etc, but I am not a car snob. If it's steam, great! A steam van would be a hit at meets & tours -- it could carry its own tour -- and once the inevitable bugs are ironed out, would be a lot more capable and practical than a 2-seater. With a good 3 cylinder engine (reminds me of the elusive Delling), it could run smooth as silk. I also like the idea of a steam pickup truck.

Peter</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.