SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
off-the-shelf steam valves
Posted by: john f. (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2005 02:56PM

<HTML>Off the shelf valves:
I’m toying with the idea of creating a small steam engine to power an auto alternator to charge car batteries. (Some day these may power a small lawn tractor or something, but that comes later) it’s important to me to use just as much off-the-shelf components as is humanly possible, even if they don’t work particularly well. Just so they work well enough to function at all.
So, for my first attempt I’d like to attach two hydraulic cylinders (the steam pistons) to the peddles of a bike and connect the alternator to the bike rear wheel by a ‘v’ belt (fan belt). The best idea I have for off-the-shelf steam valves is quarter turn ball valves. If anyone has a better suggestion for off-the-shelf valves, I’m all ears.

Thanks everyone.
John f.</HTML>

Re: off-the-shelf steam valves
Posted by: Christopher W. Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2005 06:52AM

<HTML>The only expierience I have in ball valves for steam is the use of them as whistle valves. I find that an off the shelf ball valve with teflon seat will last about 2 years, before leaking and in need of replaceing. For me this is no big deal as I can replace on in about 15 miniuted the way I have them set up. I know there was a bronze seat and even stainless seats made, but I have no idea of where to get them easily.

CWR</HTML>

Posted by: Francis Church 111 (IP Logged)
Date: February 02, 2005 03:47PM

<HTML>John-If the group has not communicated with you yet you might try a company I found, and they are very friendly. The web is www.crtec.com and a phone would be 203-318-9500, The full name is CR-TEC Engineering Inc., 37 Kimberly Lane, Madison, CT 06443-2080. The email is info@crtec.com well that is all I have there are others out there I did not run across anyone that had a cross section of material that these peaple have.-Frank (Steam is the future, "Steam Speed Racer")</HTML>

Posted by: Francis Church 111 (IP Logged)
Date: February 15, 2005 07:03PM

<HTML>John F. Hey I see you have 26 answers to the "off-the-shelf steam valves" where did they go, when I gave an answer to your question I was interested in seeing what the other steamers had to say and I see only three responses? I was querious? Frank "Steam Car Speed Racer"</HTML>

Posted by: john fehn (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:46AM

<HTML> there are thirty-some replies for "Off the shelf steam valves:" on the www.steamautomobile.com forum. last post as of right now, January somthing.</HTML>

Posted by: john fehn (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2005 07:21AM

<HTML>the Forum software sometimes slips the "replies" column down one thread. the "26 replies" actually belongs to the thread just previous to mine called "How much HP?". on my thread there were only 4 replies.

john f.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.