SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Wood dust fuel in Flash Boiler
Posted by: Sundar Narayan (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2005 06:51PM

<HTML>I am interested in a stationary application for a flash boiler. Can anyone point me to any research on burning solid fuels like coal or wood in a flash boiler? These fuels would be burned in pulverized form in a dust burner. Radiant heat from the flame will heat the water in the flash coils surrounding the flame. There would also be convective heat transfer to the flash coils in the convection section beyond the flame.

I am concerned about fly ash deposition on the coils. I believe that if the flame direction was vertically downward, ash deposition would be less of a problem. The coil center-line would be vertical.

A steam flood boiler used in the oil industry is like the boiler I am describing but it burns either oil or gas. And the coil center-line is horizontal.

An open bottom A-frame boiler can burn solid fuel in the manner I am describing. These are routinely used but I like flash boilers because they can be built in much smaller capacities and, I think, more cheaply.

Sundar</HTML>

Re: Wood dust fuel in Flash Boiler
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2005 07:18PM

<HTML>[www.steamautomobile.com]

[www.steamautomobile.com]

Doble & Herreshoff
See attachment. Doble’s solid fuel boiler copied from Walton’s book and The Herreshoff Lamont boiler
I think this type of boiler would be very hard to control, and would require a constant power load and steady source of fuel. Not my idea of a good boiler.</HTML>

Posted by: Brian McMorran (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:41PM

<HTML>Sundar
Dr Alex Moulton built a steam boat with a Doble style solid fuel boiler and it operated with some success. In my own experiments I have used both woodchip and wood pellets.
As Rolly says a steady fuel delivery is required, for this I have a plc controlled auger, cannot rely on manual feeding.
This site lists many manufacturers of wood burners to show the concept I am using.
<[www.pelletsbrannare.nu] >

Brian</HTML>

Posted by: Brian McMorran (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:43PM

<HTML>Sorry, here is the site again
>[www.pelletsbrannare.nu];

Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2005 06:36AM

<HTML>The Doble boiler has a fan sucking air instead of blowing?
My own wood fired lamont has coil arranagement and feed hopper similar to the Doble.......had to lay boiler on side before heat stopped frying the fan motor when it cycled off.What's he using on the suction fan a turbocharger?

Yes,boiler does have a bit of ash on the coils....but no ,I didn't have control
problems with 2psi forced fired ,from fan cycling with pressure switch.
(Have to be careful about set point because it surges ahead a little, before dropping,everytime the fan cycles off.)</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:26AM

<HTML>HI ,,,I put a fan in my furnace fluepipe elbow ,,just put 12'' of rod between the fan and the motor,,and a small piece of rubber tube to make a universal,,lo power but it kept the shop clean til the chimney got warm,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.