SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Information Required
Posted by: Dave Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2005 09:59PM

<HTML>Hi there,

A friend of mine has just acquired a 1923 Stanley 740 tourer. I believe the number is 23612.

I see that you have a list of Stanley's and when they were built on this site, but I cannot see his. Does anyone know anything about it??

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Dave</HTML>

Re: Information Required
Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2005 04:04AM

<HTML>Dave

I assume you have the ex Australian Stanley that Jeff Theobold brought in !
I am the owner of 23644 that was brought in from Boston area last May. In my searches for info. I have always come to a grinding halt. I visitted the Stanley museum and they could only offer some broad brush info:-
Your car is a 1923 hence the 23 in its number and a late production car, the last number I know of from 1923 is mine, anybody know any different ?
Stanleys were in trouble in 1923 and Australia wanted to import technology so quite a few Stanleys went to Australia. The basic colour offered at that time was Brewster Green, other colours were special order and cost.

The list you are looking for on this web site is the Specifications, all the data is good except for serial numbers which do not go as far as 23644. I have informed both the owner of the list and the Stanley museum, and red marked up the list in the new book prior to it being published, but the update never happened.

If you need a reference car or help with some gauges etc. I have some spares.

Regards
Ian Vinton</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2005 08:06AM

<HTML>Thanks very much for your help.

Yes, this is the Stanley that you are referring to. It is in quite a bad state of repair. The dash has been played around with and re-wired with any old wire. So we are starting again. However, having very limited knowledge of these things, we are just feeling our way at the moment.

The chassis is stripped and painted and the man is arriving soon to start repairing and rebuilding the body. Then we are having it re-upholstered.
As for the gauges, we think that the speedo is dodgy as it makes a strange grinding noise when you turn it. The 2 pressure gauges seem to be ok from a first glance but we haven't steamed it yet.

What have you got, as far as gauges? Could you send me some pictures of the interior of your car to go by? Especially the dash and any electrical items, as we have no idea what should or shouldn't be on it and of course where it should be located.

Thanks once again.

Dave</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:30PM

<HTML>May I suggest you buy a reprint of the model 740 owner's manual from the Steam Automobile Club of America? It is item #126 in the catalog. It contains a number of illustrations that may help you as well as the instructions for running the beast.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.