SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Letter suffixes
Posted by: Dave Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2005 10:02PM

<HTML>Hello again

Can someone tell me what the letter denote after the model number (A B C D.....etc). Possibly a stupid question I know, but I have no idea.

Also, what do the model numbers signify, if anything?? Does the 7 mean one thing and the 35 or 40 something else??

Cheers

Dave Roberts</HTML>

Re: Stanley Letter suffixes
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2005 08:19PM

<HTML>Hi,,Hopefully Pat or Dave will get the list out,,,meantime , if you trust my memory one more time,,,,The letters AFTER the model# denote the body style ,,, A was, I think , the 7pass touring,,,This way, when parts were orderd for the body , they knew what was needed. Back to 1910,,60,,62,,etc were 10hp cars,,prefix on eng# 6,,,The 20hp cars 70,,71,,72,,etc engine prefix #7,,,The 30hp cars 80,,82,,whatever,,engine prefix 8 ....The condenser cars Model 728 whatever,,,used this prefix on the engine [ I think] the later 735 models had 735 prefix on the engine,,,note these 735 and 740 engines will go right into a 1910 car but there are differences,,,the early engines have ball or roller crossheads and ball /roller rods an' mains,,,the early cars had doors to oil things while filling the water tank.There are no doors on later setup...A late engine in a case that is NOT oiltight is probably going to be a big pain eventually!!! there are several running this way,and I cannot say anything good about it..NOTHING . One more detail,,there were 2 different 30 hp engines,,,the early one was #4 and had a closer frame rod spacing,and smaller frame rods...If you find one of these , CALL me night or day collect.. I'LL be right over,,,Cheers Ben / ps all these engines had 6 pitch gears BUT they were different width s,, 20hp/1inch even ,,, 30hp 1 1/8'' cb</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: January 25, 2005 09:49PM

<HTML>Thanks very much for the info.

We are very much "feeling our way" at the moment so our knowledge is very limited.

Dave</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2005 01:46AM

<HTML>Years ago, model numbers of cars didn’t change annually like they do now. When car builders built a new model, the model number stayed with that car for what ever length of time that they produced that model. The model number may have been for a one off, or maybe the model number lasted for years like the Stanley 735 which was built starting in 1918 through the spring of 1922. The model 740 replace the 735 with a new style model in 1922. When you ordered parts for your Stanley, you needed to give them your model number so that you would get the correct parts you needed for your model. The first number of the model number designated the engine type. As in a model 735, the engine type would be a type 7 engine, a 20 hp Stanley engine. The letter following the 735 model number indicated which body type was used. In example, a 735 “A” would be a 4 passenger touring body. “B” was for a 7 passenger touring body, “C” was for a coupe. “D” was a sedan; “E” was a roadster. “F” was a four door 4 passenger (Brougham). Simple huh? We all have to start somewhere.</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2005 12:34PM

<HTML>A slight correction: the "A" and "F" models were considered 5 passenger cars, 2 in front, 3 in back. The 7 passenger models added 2 folding seats in the back, fine for kids or short trips.</HTML>

Date: January 26, 2005 02:21PM

<HTML>David, Thank you for the assist. You are partially correct. The 735A first came out in 1919 as a four passenger and it was later in 1921 that it was changed to be either the 4 or the wider body 5 passenger. On the model 740A production, it was always the wider 5 passenger. On the Brougham, which first showed in 1921, it was first always a 4 passenger. It was not made a 5 passenger until its last year of production in 1923 with the model 740F. These figures come from original sales literature. An interesting note here is that Christopher Roberts owns a 1922 Brougham. On its VIN tag, it was mistakenly stamped 740E instead of the 740F by the Stanley factory. It goes to show that there aren't any firm rules on Stanley identification.</HTML>

Posted by: Christopher W. Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: February 05, 2005 05:42AM

<HTML> All Brougham's with the prefix "F" built were 4 passenger. No Brougham's were built in 1923 although it was entered as a car. The last brougham built was car # 22413, Body #7, which is now owned by Christopher Roberts (me).

CWR</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: February 05, 2005 04:05PM

<HTML>Hi,,,What is 740G,,,It looks like a 4door sedan,,as in a 11B Franklin/ Walker body..Thanks in advance,,,Ben</HTML>

Date: February 06, 2005 02:10AM

<HTML>Dear Coburn, Oops. We left out the letter "G". You are right, I shouldn't have stopped with only the letter F. The 740 G was introduced as the new 5 passenger sedan in November 1922. It was a five passenger sedan with a lower price of $3,585, that eventually replaced the more expensive model 740 F Brougham which was $3950. This model also lessened the gap between the good open and closed bodies. On the Stanley Company magazine "Stored Power" Volume 11, No.4, the whole front page features this new 5 passenger sedan. In the new Stanley steamer book, it is referred to as the "Utility" sedan. I am sure that the word "utility" was used for the lower price and no frills. Not to stop here, when the Steam Vehicle company took over in 1925, their letter A denoted that it was a 5 passenger touring body, and their letter G denoted that it was a 5 passenger sedan. The new model 770 for 1927 was only built as a 5 passenger touring. Pat Farrell</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.