SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ROBERT HENRY THURSTON
Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: February 02, 2005 04:10PM

<HTML>I sometimes think I am the only one that cares about the lives of those people that created the foundations of the reality we live in today. That no one else bid on this book is mind boggeling to me. Or was ROBERT HENRY THURSTON considered a quack, and I don’t know that yet?
Garry
[cgi.ebay.com];

Re: ROBERT HENRY THURSTON
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: February 02, 2005 06:50PM

<HTML>Gary,
Looks like you bought a very interesting book---there have been so many great engineers that are totally forgotten in history. Recently I was saddened by a program on the history channel talking about the incredible production of the Liberty ships during WW II and Henry Kaiser was not mentioned, it was mostly about the workers that put them together. Let us know how good your new book is!

Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:16PM

<HTML>Prof. Thurston was very well known in his day. At one time he was president of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and, at the time of his death in 1903, had been director of the Sibley School of Engineering at Cornell Univ. for more than two decades. He wrote at least a dozen books, of which I have only one in my library, and that only volume one of a two volume set.</HTML>

Posted by: John (IP Logged)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:21PM

<HTML>There are a couple of Thurston books available on the net as E Books
see the Steam engine Library at Rochester
[www.history.rochester.edu]

Robert H. Thurston, A History of the Growth of the Steam-Engine New York, 1878. 490 pages, 147 illustrations and 15 portraits. Thurston was a prominent engineer, and the book is well written. [Jacob Ben Efron, David Drahms]

Robert H. Thurston, Robert Fulton: his life and its results, New York, 1891. 192 pages, about 10-15 pictures. Thurston was himself a prominent steam engineer. [david leavitt, seth krostich, noah borenstein]

and also one of Carnots translated by Thurston

Regards
John</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.